Chapter 41

Harry jerked awake, sweat dripping down his body, as he sat there panting, grumbling under his breath, he shoved away the blue cover he'd scavenged out of someone's house way back. It reminded him of the one he has a child, well he mostly remembered it grey, it had never been washed as long as he remembered. Eventually it was thrown out because it was 'absolutely disgusting' and his aunt hadn't wanted it in her house. Shaking his head, forcing himself not to think of the Dursleys who no doubt, if they had survived the initial outbreak, surely blamed the magical world for this shit storm that had gone down. He could just imagine it, Vernon and Dudley complaining over the lack of food, lack of sleep, the running, the uncertainty, and the Dudley no longer had his computer games to play or Petunia and Dudley hating the fact there was no TV complaining about all their missed soaps. A vindictive smirk appeared on his face, he couldn't help it, if they had just cared about him even just a little he would have moved heaven and hell to keep them safe. He didn't want them dead per se, but he was hardly going to cry over it if they were - which as he said to Dale in the CDC was most likely to happen.

Harry blindly reached for and picked up his water bottle and took a drink, he knew without confirmation that it was around six am; he could never sleep passed that time. He was too used to wakening up early now. Stretching out he groaned in satisfaction, he'd used his sleeping bag last night, and regretted not doing it the other nights, his back was already feeling much better now with a comfortable position to sleep in. The sleeping bags had been spelled to maximise his comfort, so sleeping on the ground wasn't uncomfortable. Inhaling sharply, he grimaced, he really needed a shower, they all did, they were beginning to smell atrocious, and they hadn't even been washing their clothes either.

The quicker they settled into a routine and had everything up and running the better. He needed a bloody wash, definitely going hunting today, and would find a fast flowing river with some luck. A cleaning charm could only do such, and absolutely nothing for his hair which was almost beyond salvaging at this point. If he didn't get it cleaned and brushed he was going to have to shave his head, which he couldn't do, not at the risk of his hair coming back over night. It had happened in the past, so definitely not. The looks on their faces would surely be amusing to say the least.

"Hey, boy," Harry murmured, patting Anubis as he yawned, a small whine left the dogs lips, and Harry knew what was wrong, he only did that when he needed the toilet, and was getting desperate. For some reason he never ran about, and bothered people, he just whined where he lay. It was as if he knew he had to be quiet, or maybe it was something he was used to, hell it might not even be the apocalypse that caused his skinniness, for all he knew the dog could have been with neglectful owners. It was pretty pointless speculating, Anubis was his now, and he would protect him as long as he was able.

Climbing out of his sleeping bag, he quickly removed clothes from his trunk; he yanked off his smelly ones and put the clean ones on. Picking up his discarded trousers he emptied his pockets and put the items into the clean ones. Anubis was whining more desperately, causing Harry to quickly yank his boots on, he grabbed his bow and sword, shrunk the trunk pocketed it and exited his cell, keeping the black and white sheet from falling off the door, it just gave them that added measure of privacy. He put his weapons in their allotted places as he jogged down the stairs.

He could hear the others beginning to move around, it wasn't surprising really, be as quiet as you can you still make noise, and noises echo in a prison. He wouldn't be slightly surprised if Daryl was the first to rouse as any sign of noise. Today was the day they were going to get full use of the prison, every single part of the prison had been cleared out and Harry was confident that they could move around now without a single worry.

Grabbing the keys he opened the door and left it wide open, the only walkers they had to fear were those on the outside. With the runes they planned on placing around the prison they'd made as their sanctuary...well it would be even more greatly protected to say the least. His lips twitched when his hair stood up on edge, Daryl was already up and beside him as usual. He was as always extremely quiet, you could barely tell he was there.