Chapter 44

Three nearly four weeks had gone by, and the prison had undergone an immense change, between all of them they were working from the crack of dawn until it got dark. They had electricity, thanks to Oscar who had been assigned to work in that area before the apocalypse. The back up generators were run with diesel something else they had to get when they were out scavenging but nobody was complaining, they also could actually take a shower now and no longer smelt rotten to do that they'd had to go to a hardware store, the first three they'd hit had been pretty much empty but on their fourth attempt they'd successfully gotten everything they needed for the moment. The most disconcerting things for the women in the group was how used to the smell they had gotten.

Harry stood in front of the prison, thinking on the past few weeks, and yes he knew how long it had been, the others did too. Harry had brought in a calendar and marked it every day during breakfast whether he was the one to cook or not. It was astonishing how much could change in a short time, but given the close quarters and the relief that they no longer had to continue running every day, and had somewhere they could settle down, and actually have conversation - all while working for most part admittedly, it made for changes that truly were for the better - they grew closer, stronger as a unit and they would need to remain that way.

Hearing a childish giggle, he turned just slightly, observing Mira with Andre, his lips twitched. She had taken his word to heart and had ensured Andre was always watched. He was grateful for it; he'd already had to keep a child safe because neither Lori nor Rick had seemed inclined to. The thought of that sweet innocent boy walking around a walker made a shudder run up his spine. No, in the past it had taken a village to raise a child, now it would be that way now too. Andre was too young to train right now, but Mira had joined in, or rather he had ordered her to do so. She was decent enough with a sword (probably harnessed out of sheer need during the outbreak) but shooting was a problem, but she would get there, Carol was too, becoming quite a good shot, although she still had a long way to go, Sophia helped along no doubt, Carol didn't want to be protected by her daughter, she wanted to do the protecting. There was always going to be a sense of competition, a desire to be better, but Harry kept it as minimal as possible, even Andrea had settled down, no more thoughtless acts (yet), no more desire to be better than everyone else. She had grown comfortable in her own skin and seemed content with her place in the group and he hoped it continued.

"He's growing so quickly," Mira commented as she moved to stand beside Harry, he had been avoiding her, or at least she'd assumed so until the others told him he was a bit anti-social, a complete contradiction to what she expected but the war must have changed him. The wizarding war had helped Harry prepare for this world; there was no doubt about it. Maybe one day he would relax and actually live a little. The more she observed him the more she wondered if he had ever lived at all. The irony wasn't lost on her given the title he was known by all over the world.

"The nutrition potion I put into the soup will have helped that," Harry revealed, everyone's soup, but only those who needed it would be affected. He'd did it mostly for her and Andre, they had been skin and bone when they were first introduced, Mira more so, due to the fact she had been giving the little boy more of what she found for them to eat.

"You make potions?" Mira's breathing hitched, how had she not tasted it? Thinking back, trying to remember if she'd had soup the first few days and she could remember yes, they had, all of them had actually. She knew her potions, so she was torn between shock, mortification and annoyance at his pronouncement.

"I haven't had a chance yet, but I cleared out the apothecary at home before I came here," Harry answered honestly, wondering at her hitched breathing, was she feeling envious or just missed being able to discuss magic in general? He would find somewhere to brew and ward it to the max so nobody could see it.