Chapter 59

Carol woke up as always quite early, quickly getting dressed from the clothes she put at the bottom of the bed, so they can get changed in the warmth of their bed without their feet touching the chilly cement floor. Her feet once she was dressed slid deftly into her boots, tying the laces; she finally climbed out of her warm bed. Glancing briefly down at her daughter who was sound a sleep with Hela curled around her giving her extra warmth. Thirteen years old she was today, officially a teenager in world that had spun out of control. She was in for quite a surprise today; she hadn't brought up her birthday so the likelihood was that she was oblivious to the importance of today. Or perhaps she just thought with everything that it wouldn't be celebrated. She always made an extra effort for her daughter's birthday, usually making sure Ed wasn't there but it wasn't always possible...today however, Ed couldn't spoil it for them she just wished it wasn't because of the outbreak.

Carol quietly made her way out of their room, Hela she noticed was watching her go, but would no doubt settle down again in a few moments. The further she went from the cell block the more she became confused when she could smell a very familiar aroma coming from the kitchen. Wondering if her nose was deceiving her she hastened to the kitchen to see for herself. Hearing the clickity clack of a dogs nails she realised without further prompting who it was. Hela was still up the stairs with Sophia so it could only be Anubis and Anubis was nearly always with Harry.

She wandered into the kitchen, only to watch Daryl slide further along away from Harry looking decidedly on edge. Pretending not to see it, she ambled further in a small smile appearing on her face. She hadn't been wrong at all, it had been baking she'd smelled, Harry it seemed was baking cupcakes, biscuits and last but no means least a cake. Daryl had a sweet tooth a mile long; she wouldn't be surprised if he'd already had a few. Were the both of them an item or was she looking too closely into it? They were very close; nobody could deny that, perhaps they weren't ready for anyone to know? She brushed those thoughts aside, refusing to dwell on them further - especially if she was seeing things that weren't actually there. "Cakes?" she questioned should they be wasting valuable resources on something like this? don't get her wrong, it warmed her immensely to see Harry cared so much for her daughter to remember her birthday and risk his life to go out and bring stuff back to wrap up for her - to give her a day to remember even during all this horribleness. She would never forget what he was doing for her daughter.

"We have the resources so we might as well celebrate her big day, come next year if we survive we might not be able to." Harry said seriously. "It's not as if any of it will go to waste." he snorted at the mere thought of it.

"Ain't that the truth," Daryl muttered crumbs covering his vest from where he'd already eaten a few of them.

Carol chuckled and nodded her fondness for Harry rising higher than ever; he was doing this so Sophia had a good birthday how could she ever feel anything other than fondness for him? From the very first day she'd known he was a better man than anyone at the Quarry, better than her own husband. He cared for Sophia, looked after her, made her feel special by giving her things, the wooden figures he'd created for her were spread out around their room, she'd kept every single one of them safe. "Thank you for this," she said, tears prickling at her eyes, "It's..." she felt too overwhelmed suddenly to articulate herself.

"Hey, it's fine," Harry said, giving her hand a quick squeeze, "the icing is over there, take your pick," there was a different variety he'd picked up or taken out his trunk for today. Butter was the only missing ingredient in the cakes, or so they would think, he'd put butter in, but just enough that the cake would taste nice but not enough that they would notice it. It's half why he had gotten up so soon, so he could do it without answering awkward questions.