Chapter 6: the walking dead

Harry grabbed a hold of the Portkey's, he was getting everyone he cared about as far away as possible from whatever the hell that was happening here. Admittedly he hadn't seen them in a few years, but he still cared, he had just needed to get away from all the hero worship, he'd secluded himself away in Grimmauld Place enjoying life for the first time, just being alive, no expectations, at least none he was facing at any rate. There had been a time where he considered stopping getting the Daily Prophet when Skeeter continued her nonsense, only one of her guesses had been accurate, he definitely didn't want to marry a girl and settle down, but he was glad he hadn't otherwise this outbreak...he would have been completely oblivious. It had taken him a long time to come to terms with his sexuality. Growing up with the Dursley's, having them thinking he was a freak had lasting damages, made him question his self worth, but in the end he'd thought 'to hell with the Dursley's' and he became strong again, more confident, he knew who he was and if nobody liked it then that was on them.

Unfortunately his trip to the Ministry hadn't gone all that smooth, trying to get through the groups of people all in the atrium in panic, wanting somewhere safe had been madness. It was mostly Muggle-born's and half-blood's he'd noticed, there wasn't a single pureblood to be seen unless you counted those actually trying to work at the Ministry. The Ministry had been trying to deal with it themselves, stupidly Obliviating Muggles of their knowledge thinking it was a magical problem, but the wizards and witches knew all too well of the pandemic that was currently starting to emerge from every corner of the world. The pureblood's were closing down their manors, buying as much food as they possibly could hoping to seclude themselves until it blew over.

With a crack Harry Apparated himself to Hogwarts, ready to start rounding everyone up, but just as he stepped up to the wards, the dome of light expanded outwardly, flinging him from his feet, the gates slamming closed, and the doors booming shut, Harry could hear the locks clanging closed from way over here, Hogwarts had closed itself down, it hadn't done that even when Sirius was in, they'd done it manually. Hearing low growls he frowned, turning around wondering what was causing it, animals? Then he saw two for himself, his eyes widened at the sight of them, the papers had been liking them to the inferi, deluded idiots, these...things were nothing like the inferi he'd dealt with, this was something new, something dangerous.

Staring at them as they lumbered towards him, he realized with a sinking feeling that this was going to be very bad. This wasn't something small, and it wasn't going to go away, they were Auror's - or had been - he realized seeing their uniforms, choking in shock when he saw that this wasn't just any Auror...it was Ron...and the other was Seamus Finnegan also an Auror.

"Stupefy!" Harry fired off, getting into fight mode, forcing any emotions down, this wasn't Ron, not anymore, and he was suddenly glad he'd distanced himself these past years - otherwise this would be agony at its finest. Much to his surprise - and not in a good way - the spell knocked him on his backside but he just got back up. "Petrificus Totalus!" this one had the same affect, just knocked them down, not doing what it was meant to.

"Avada Kedavra!" Harry muttered, the normally lethal green spell did nothing, how the hell did you kill them? "BOMBARDA!" Harry shouted this time his aim at Seamus who had crept up to him as he'd focused on Ron. The spell did affect them, ripped Seamus' insides out, but he continued coming. Stunned unable to believe his magic was so useless in the face of these things he tripped up Seamus falling with him, much like his first year, Harry's wand ended up being lodged inside something's nostril all the way up. Then just like that Seamus stopped fighting, limp in his hold. Harry flung the disgusting thing off him, shuddering in disgust at the repugnant smell wafting from them. So the key to defeating them was something to the head? Face? Brain?