Chapter 27

Daryl and Harry had led the way in the truck, which had Merle's motorbike on it; Merle had driven the RV with Luna in the passenger seat. Driving towards a small town gas station, hoping to get lucky, at least where gas was concerned, they'd also circled around feed stores and possible places to spend what was left of the night. The first two places they'd checked had turned out to be a no go so they'd travelled on until they found somewhere for the night, even heading passed the gas station, the place was a large metal storage container.

Harry slid out of the truck, silently gesturing for everyone in the RV to stay where they were. Gun in hand, Anubis at his heels he did a sweep of the area, waiting until he was behind the building before whispering a spell, the blue light shot from his wand and disappeared as it encompassed the area, just an added precaution to keep them safe.

"Does it always glow like that?" Daryl asked, as always right next to him, crossbow at the ready. Ignoring Anubis urinating against a tree.

"When I use my wand yes," Harry whispered, not relying fully on his magic he continued the search, the building was big enough to fit the RV and Daryl's truck. He was lucky he did, Anubis started whining, and then he heard the telltale groaning of a walker, just beyond the ward he'd just set up. Before he could raise his wand to shoot it, Daryl had aimed and released his bolt; it hit the walker and imbedded it into a tree with a thwack.

"As apposed to what?" Daryl asked, as he walked over to the walker and yanked out his arrow before ambling back his blue eyes filled with curiosity.

"When I don't use my wand," Harry shrugged; at least Daryl wouldn't know how rare that was so he didn't feel the need to keep it quiet. It wasn't as if he would ever meet any other wizards other than him and Luna - well at least he assumed not.

"Why's it different?" Daryl enquired as they began walking around back end of the building and making their way back towards their new smaller group. It didn't escape his notice that the group had literally split in half, nine in each group.

"A wand is a focus point, it helps pull magic from a magical core, all wizards have them, all the elements, the words, the wand, it causes the colour, using your own innate strength to focus your magic without a wand...well there's no visible sign of magic being cast. Never really made sense to me either, but I know someone who would probably be able to give you a detailed description." Harry added wryly, and makes you feel stupid at the same time, that was just Hermione for you. He'd gone his entire childhood using magic without knowing it, without seeing colours just the reactions itself. Shrinking tops, summoning things, making them invisible from his relatives, Apparating he'd done more than he realized.

The men quietly went back to the front of the container, aiming the torch at the bottom, they found it was padlocked.

"We'll need bolt cutters for this," Harry said seeing it.

"You got it," Daryl said moving away towards where his brother was leaning against the door of the RV.

Harry could have used magic but he didn't want to reveal his hand too soon. After a few moments, Daryl was back and quickly used the bolt cutters to snap the padlock so they could get inside. Leaning down both of them yanked the corrugated shutter up so they could see inside. Shining the light inside, they quickly moved around, searching every nook and cranny of the place to make sure there was nothing inside that would endanger their lives. There was a ladder and some sort of walkway on top of the building, good emergency exit if they get surrounded but the likelihood was low. "This will be handy if we get more than a few walkers coming our way until we handle them all." he told Daryl absently as he flashed the light in that direction.