Chapter 43

Daryl followed Harry out of the prison, keeping an eye on the wizard, who was extremely tense, whatever that had happened back there had obviously put Harry on edge, in only a way he'd seen when they were dealing with walkers, in fact if he would say it was worse than when he dealt with walkers. What was with the scar? Why did he have such an adverse reaction to someone looking at it? He had noticed it, during one of their scavenges of a store, when he started using magic it had briefly appeared before disappearing again, it was be some sort of magic making it invisible. It was just a very thin cool lightening bolt scar, barely visible. His back was a hell of a lot worse and he didn't hide them.

Harry visibly relaxed once he was away from the prison and into the trees, feeling calm and at peace surrounded by the trees, the only thing missing from when he'd started learning a few months back was the sound of birds and even tractors and cars, the most common sound had definitely been motorbikes. The cabin the brothers had stayed in wasn't as secluded as one would believe for a rural area of Atlanta Georgia. It had kept them safe once people started coming back, but not for long, as it spread astonishingly fast.

"Damn, something got to this pretty quick," Harry muttered as he bent down to check the trap and incidentally the wild hog caught in it and all chewed up. Cursing in annoyance, the walkers were becoming more and more of a bother the longer this thing lasted. It wasn't enough that they were going around eating everyone that they had to eat the only food supply they had too? Harry removed the disgusting carcass from the trap, and began to set it up again. "Maybe we should come out here twice a day, get rid of all the walkers, might make it easier to actually eat something we've caught. Either that or forgo the traps, they're eating what the traps manage to catch anyway and it might be attracting more of the buggers." Harry strained as he said this, getting the trap back into place, he'd added a spell that activates when the trap is sprung, just because he had to kill those animals to eat, it didn't mean he wanted them suffering, at least not needlessly, the spell put them to sleep painlessly, it was actually a spell he had learned from Hagrid, who used it illegally since his wand had been snapped, but he was always a big softy when it came to animals. He wondered if Hagrid was safe, he was a half giant, which meant his DNA was different, animals weren't affected, maybe the giants and that weren't either. Stupid to hope, he knew, but the thought of all things magic just being eradicated was quite painful to contemplate despite the fact he no longer cared what wizards and witches thought.

Finally the trap was back into position and Harry slowly backed away from it, not wanting it to spring back up and catch him. Although recently it would definitely just be his luck if something like that did happen. They had more all around the prison, and he planned on inspecting them all before going further out.

"Why was she so fixated on your scar?" Daryl asked as they continued their trek around the prison, they passed one but found it undisturbed and moved on. He would have asked earlier if he wasn't perspective but he knew Harry had a temper on him that rivalled both his and Merle's when push came to shove although he was nowhere near as easy to wind up it took a lot for Harry to lose it.

Harry sighed, at least if he told Daryl his opinion wouldn't change, he wouldn't be in awe of him, he was undeniably fascinated with magic but that was indeed as far as his curiosity and awe went. "To my world? It was a symbol, when Voldemort was defeated the first time around they reported in the news that my parents had died but I had survived with nothing to show for the attack other than a lightening bolt scar on my forehead. They even came up with a moniker for me. While they were all celebrating the downfall of the darkest wizard the magical world had ever known.." Harry paused briefly to ready his bow and shoot at a walker to his left, Daryl took care of the one to his right. Both of them looked around to ensure no more would come out of the trees. Remaining silent as they listened for even a slight shuffle. After a few tense moments they began down the other side of the prison.