Chapter 4: the walking dead

Daryl woke once again when he heard moving around the area of their little camp, his hands automatically clutching his crossbow, as he cautiously peeked out, weapon raised on the defensive. He wasn't too surprised to see Harry in his brother's tent, he had been checking on him regularly all night. Every three hours he would guess, considering he hadn't heard his brother's voice once he was obviously still asleep. It was barely dawn, but he was ready for the day. He stood watching him outside the tent.

"Don't bother hunting," Harry told him, he didn't want to deal with Merle on his own, judging by the smirk Daryl was not even trying to hide he knew it too. "There's plenty of pasta that can be cooked at least today," and he wanted to see how quickly they would begin to complain that they weren't doing anything. He wanted to tell them what he really thought of them all, well most of them at any rate. Everything he, Merle and Daryl had suggested, with him doing the speaking, had just been turned down or he'd been condescendingly been told he (Shane) knew what he was doing way back when he first got there. The measures they'd put in place had been removed, much to their annoyance. Enough was enough.

"Fine by me," Daryl replied, turning and glaring at the tents across the quarry, they'd left his brother cuffed defenceless on a roof. He didn't care what he'd done they shouldn't have left him there without means of escape, shelter or supplies. No matter what he'd done he hadn't deserved that, and nobody not even Harry could convince him of that. Harry hadn't been defending them though; he always had the tendency to look at things objectively once the matter was settled.

And it was true, Harry would never have even thought of saying it until they'd gotten Merle to safety. He knew both Dixon brothers had temper problems that made his look extremely mild in comparison. He wasn't scared of them, he could defend himself, but it didn't make it any easier when they went on the rampage. Ultimately he would never have left Merle behind, no matter what he was doing or saying he wasn't that sort of person (he had saved Draco Malfoy after all). Which left him to wonder just what sort of people he was exhausting himself for, if it had just been the three of them they wouldn't be hunting anywhere near as much as they were, or as far as they had to go with a shortage of animals in the area now.

"He should be wakening up pretty soon," Harry added as he got comfortable in Merle's tent, sitting on a chair off to the side. Merle had slept longer than he had anticipated, but his body needed to recover. He must have needed it, but point someone out that couldn't use a good night's sleep. He would also be extremely thirsty and hungry, which was why he had put two large water bottles on his bed, along with a few cereal bars. He had poured water from his wand into it, along with a cooling charm on them it was much safer to drink that than the stuff they boiled from the water at the quarry.

Daryl just grunted and moved away, planning on checking the traps they'd set up at least, there was no point to letting anything go to waste, and there was always things in the traps, even if it was only one or two squirrels or rabbits.

Harry remained where he was, gazing at Merle critically even as he twitched and moved around, he was definitely the most wildly reckless angry man he had ever known. Well with the possible exception of Voldemort and his Death Eaters, Merle wasn't a killer though, he was just angry at the world, and this was his way of shouting at it Harry reckoned. The drugs though, he suspected that it was Merle's way of coping, but with what? His past? Or was it something he'd started and been unable to kick - drugs were addictive after all.

"What the hell are you doing here ya pansy arsed dick," Merle groaned out when he saw Harry sitting comfortably in his tent, that was until he remembered everything, sitting up anger filling him to the core, "I'm going to kill that pig, when I see him again," he ignored his shaking hands and sweat soaked brow.