Chapter 51

Harry made his way over on wobbly legs to the outside barbeque Carol had going, the food was already done cooking, the others had just been waiting on them. Groaning softly, trying to hide just how damn weak and tired he felt, he slid down next to Anubis and leaned against the building patting at his beautiful boy. He loved Anubis just as much as he had loved Hedwig, or still did the pain of losing her still stung fiercely. He hoped nothing ever happened to Anubis, that his boy lived a long full life, however long it will be the thought of him being touched by a walker horrified him. The quicker he got Fort Benning done the better, with his planning the place was going to be locked up tighter than Hogwarts, well just less so, he was only one person after all.

"Hey boy," Harry said, scratching at his ears, head and back with a grin. Anubis wiggled until his head was lying on Harry's lap, his tongue out as he enjoyed being scratched.

"Harry you're back!" Sophia called relief and happiness shining on the teenagers face and she raced up to him.

"I did say I would be, and you know I don't break my promises," Harry said, and she knew that more than most, he had promised nothing would happen to her, that he wouldn't let anything hurt her, while back at the quarry long before the attack. He had gone for her and found her, protected her and kept her safe for three days before they found their way back to the road again. He'd had to reassure her a lot, she'd been scared and wanted her mum, but she'd pushed ahead of that fear and been brave for him.

"Will you tell me a story? It's been so long since you told one," she asked, sliding down at the only other side available. She did lean over and pat Anubis smiling when he licked her hand. Anubis loved playing with the kids, but there was no doubt he loved Harry more, it was him he always went to when he come back. She had always wanted a dog, but her mum had never got one. Her dad would have probably hurt it anyway, probably why her mum said no.

"You are an odd one aren't you?" Harry mused giving her a smile.

"What your stories are good!" Sophia protested, she absolutely loved them and they made her feel like she could be strong too. "I like that the girl is so strong!"

"In some ways, girls are stronger than men; despite the fact society believes it's up to the men to protect people." Harry explained, "Ever heard of the saying 'There's nothing more scary than a mama bear protecting her cubs' same goes for women, they'll go to the end of the earth, tear anyone down that stands in their way to protect those they love." and Hermione and Luna were two of the most extraordinary witches he knew.

"Here," Daryl said handing over two plates, one for Harry and one for Sophia, he had a soft spot for the girl, he wasn't sure why. Maybe the fact she had a similar childhood to him, only similar since his mum was already gone by the time he reached Sophia's age. Not that he'd had a mother like Carol, there was no denying since that bastard of a husband of hers had died she'd came fiercely protective of her daughter and a hell of a shot with a gun.

"Thanks," Harry said gratefully, and it was a big plateful, fresh meat, nobody would be going to sleep hungry tonight that was for damn certain. He felt guilty that he could just get Hermione to give them food while the others didn't have as much, probably why he didn't do it often...unless he did it for Daryl or Luna or while he was talking to her himself. It looked as if they'd even gotten some potatoes from the vegetable patch as well.

"You alright, Dale?" Harry asked, noticing the older man was being a little delicate with his walk, more so than usual.

"Just old aches and pains," Dale said, sitting down with a wince.

"What kind of old aches and pains?" Harry asked suspiciously.

"Arthritis in my knees, sometimes hands and feet, it's been a long time since I was bothered by it," Dale admitted, accepting the cup of tea from Mira and his dinner with a look of gratitude. "It's the cold that's causing it,"