Chapter 66

Luna's POV

Being inside while everyone was outside risking their lives felt so wrong to her, yet she did what she'd been asked - for the sake of the children. All the while praying and begging for everyone to be safe, especially Merle, Daryl and Harry. None of them would recover if anything happened to their brothers/loved ones. Closing her eyes briefly, worry squirming like a living thing in the pit of her stomach as Michonne closed the door behind her, all she saw was a pale Dale, steely resolved (especially after taking one look at the kids) with a gun in his hand watching the corridor in case anyone got inside.

Glancing at the kids herself, she saw Andre and Luke playing with toys unaware of the high tension in everyone. Patrick was sitting there his eyes abnormally large, worried about what was happening as well. Stiffening her spine, she straightened up, Harry wouldn't let anything happen to anyone, they would survive this, and they had to survive this.

"What's happening?" Lori asked, panting harshly, her face coated with sweat dried and new beading along her forehead. Her hands were clenching on the bed, trying to ride out the pain. Her brown eyes wide with fear, her husband and son were out there, and she was here without them giving birth - she was scared - but didn't want anyone to see that, she didn't want anyone to she couldn't do this.

Luna grabbed the cloth and rung it out a few times under the cold tap before bringing it back over to the woman. Wiping her face, cooling it down and getting rid of the sweat which was probably making her face itchy. "There are people outside, Harry and the others have gone to sort it out." she informed her, "Don't worry about it, Harry won't let anything happen to anyone if he can help it."

"Carl is just a child," Lori protested her face screwed up in pain, "He should be in here." there was a boy older than her son in here.

"Harry didn't see him or he would have made sure he was sent here with the others, even then there wasn't much he could do, he tried to get Rick to come back here. When that failed he told me to come up to make sure you weren't on your own, no offence Hershel." Luna added that bit quickly, realizing how it may have sounded.

"Oh, it's fine," Hershel said, brushing it aside he knew what Harry meant, he couldn't give her the comfort she needed and deliver the baby. He was grateful that Harry had the forethought to think of such a thing, it was just a shame that her husband didn't. Not that this should surprise him, Rick would use any excuse not to be near Lori these days, anytime she tried to talk to him he would the vicinity doing God knows what.

Lori grasped a hold of Luna's arm, "Thank you," Lori said, eyes half lidded as the pain momentarily stopped. She knew Luna probably wanted to be out there with her boyfriend and brother. If the situations were reversed she'd want to be out there with her husband and son, to at least make sure they were safe. Part of her wanted to tell Luna she was fine - to go to them - that she'd get through it, but she couldn't get the words out, she was in so much pain she just wanted someone here to distract her, it was selfish of her really, but she'd been so alone these past months even with Hershel discussing things with her.

"Its fine," Luna said patting her arm absently, wondering if she actually really meant it or if she was just saying things she felt she was expected to say. A year ago Lori would never have thanked anyone for anything; she just demanded things constantly, for example putting Glenn in danger by forcing him to go into town to get pills to abort her baby of all things. It was a dangerous world out there, if they had to go out it should always be an emergency or important. Apparently (she hadn't been there but Harry had) she hadn't even lifted a finger and raided the cars because it felt like 'stealing' the owners were dead! They'd had no need for supplies; they on the other hand needed everything they could get to survive the outbreak. A year of rough living would change everyone though.