Chapter 46

Merle approached his brother, using the skills he utilised while hunting, in other words he crept silently towards him which wasn't as easy as it looked considering he'd taught his brother everything he knew. Not that he was trying very hard; he had no need to as his brother was lost in thought as he gazed across the prison pensively. A large frown appeared across his face, Luna's words ringing in his ears, he couldn't help but wonder if she was right, an odd feeling of guilt passed through him, but he brushed it off immediately, he had nothing to feel guilty about, except the fact he'd unknowingly left his little brother to their fathers mercies, at least he tried to tell himself he had nothing to feel guilty about, but his thoughts lingered on the feeling, he didn't experience guilt often, and certainly didn't show it, but he knew the feeling.

"Where's Luna?" Daryl asked, surprising the hell out of his brother, he was losing his touch if he thought he could sneak up on him. It was rare to see his brother without Luna; they were joint at the hip - literally all the time. If he was honest he hadn't expected it to last, he knew his brother, or thought he had...he'd worried about Luna, she was a nice girl, she didn't deserve whatever Merle would pull. The longer the relationship lasted the more confounded he became, this was probably the longest Merle had gone out with the same girl. The most baffling thing of all was the fact he seemed happy, not that the others would notice, it was just something he would.

"Talking to Harry," Merle grunted, copying his brother and leaning against the prison, crossing his arms and staring broodingly at nothing in particular. He couldn't believe he was going to take Luna's advice, it was making him want to puke, and he wasn't the advice giving kind. He didn't care about anyone other than Harry, Luna and Daryl the rest could go to hell for all he cared, they were survivors, and the others were just scraping by, although compared to the newcomers they were fucking perfect.

It wasn't long before Daryl and Merle observed Harry and Luna leaving the prison, making their way to the squad of cars and vans they had parked up at the side. None was bigger than the first van they'd picked up, the blue one; it was used most frequently, although if all four of them left, then they usually took the white van, sometimes just a car and a van. Merle shoved his hand out when Daryl made to move, pressing against his shoulder so he couldn't move. "You really are as useless as tits on a bull ain't ya?" Merle grumbled, rolling his eyes, "You ain't a cub trying to be a bear now, either take a shit or get off the pot, and stop pining after him, bloody meathead!" he turned at that and left his brother gaping at him in horrified shock, a vindictive sort of smirk appeared on his face. That had been more fun than he'd thought it would be.

Merle didn't go far, and he continued to observe his surroundings. Luna was already finished talking to Harry, waving at him, she passed Daryl and giggled at him before beaming at Merle. "What did you say to him? He looks as though a feather would knock him over," Luna said, amusement coating her voice, her usually solemn blue eyes were sparkling lively as she gazed at her partner.

"What he needed to hear," Merle said, still gazing thoughtfully at his brother's unmoving back. "It's up to him now." Daryl had his own prejudice to get over; hell there was no telling if his brother was over it. He might actually disregard his words and continue being a meathead, but if his brother did get with Harry, he knew his brother, if Daryl fell in love, he would love that person for the rest of his life. Daryl did not pick up and discard his feelings so easily, he was extremely loyal to those he cared about and if Harry did anything he would pummel the shit out of him.

"It's going to take something drastic for them to admit their feelings," Luna disagreed shaking her head, sighing softly. "Especially Harry, he's so stubborn and blind." she added with a grumble.

"Stop," Merle muttered grimacing, "I ain't talking about it," he drew the line there.

"My prejudice prat, what am I going to do with you?" Luna mused thoughtfully.