Chapter 64

"LUNA!" Hershel called out urgently, the last thing they needed was to be trapped in a cell block unable to get help now that Lori had gone into labour. It shouldn't have surprised him, inside Lori knew she was safe now, this was the best place she'd ever find to give birth and she'd relaxed enough to let her body know it was safe - not that it worked that way he knew, but it certainly bore thinking about.

"What's doing on Daddy?" Beth asked, peering out of the cell door, exhaustion clearly written across her face.

"Nothing you have to worry about, go get some sleep," Hershel said, gesturing for her daughter to go back to bed, there was no point to them all being up. He was just relieved he had slept in the truck while they were driving to the prison, it would give him the strength he needed to aid Lori in giving birth to her child.

"What's happening?" Luna asked frowning as she opened the cell door, wondering what was happening now; it was always something with the group. It was as if they were incapable of living without some sort of drama. Not all of them, she thought, the Greene's had been peaceful people, at least until Shane had gone completely around the bend and began shooting the walkers in the barn which was an otherwise peaceful farm.

"Do you have a sterile room set up? Any sterile environment?" Hershel asked, sounding desperate, although to be fair, the cell was actually quite clean, especially for an area that they were obviously not using.

"We have a hospital wing set up yes," Luna nodded, "ANDREA!" she called out, a few moments later the blonde was at the other end of the hall with a questioning look on her face.

"Yes?" Andrea murmured loud enough for Luna to hear, she was tired, they all were, the relief and adrenaline that had flowed through them when Harry and the others had returned were beginning to wear off.

"Bring the wheelchair, Lori's in labour we need to get her there and we're all too exhausted to carry her!" Luna called out, causing Andrea's eyes to widen before she quickly swept out of her sight. Luna wandered back into the cell Hershel had disappeared into. "She'll be back in a bit." she informed Hershel who was quietly instructing Lori how to breathe through it.

"You have a wheelchair?" Hershel asked, blinking in surprise, "What else do you have?" hopeful that they had enough equipment to see the birth through.

"A lot," Luna explained with a shrug, especially if you included their potions and other supplies they'd raided over the past near enough year. There was enough to keep the Muggles going with what Harry had at their sanctuary in Fort Benning. The hospital had been untouched, nobody willing to try and get close to raid it and once the turning began they will have panicked before long fleeing or ending up dead and a walker themselves. Harry was thinking of raiding all the veterinarian surgeries within a five mile radius just so he could keep Anubis and Hela healthy.

"We're going to get you somewhere more comfortable where we can do this properly," Hershel said softy, calming the panicked woman down. He hoped they had equipment that he could use to cut her open if it was required. He had gotten her history bit by bit over the past few months; he knew she'd had a C-section with her son, Carl, usually when one had a C-section it was mostly always required for the other babies to be safely delivered. He had said none of this to Rick or Lori, not wishing to alarm them further but he had a feeling that Lori probably knew.

"What's wrong?" Carl's voice was clearly heard, and it was filled with worry and fear.

Before Hershel could speak and probably fill the boy's head with lies, Luna knelt before him, looking him in the eye, treating him like the adult he was so desperate for people to see him as, "Your mum has gone into labour, a little bit early, we're going to do everything we can for her and your little brother or sister alright? I know you want to come, to look after her, but I think its best if you stay and get some sleep...it takes a while for your brother or sister to come, you might even be awake again before the baby gets here."