Chapter 18

Harry's 'other' training of Sophia and Carl wasn't exactly going how he'd expected it to. Carl had asked his parents, Rick had been completely fine but it had taken both father and son to convince Lori to allow it. Everyone had sat and watched curiously, trying to memorize everything Harry was saying and doing. There was no doubt he knew what he was doing. Except those who had chores to do around the farm. Amy and Beth were sitting to the side watching as well, both really curious. Harry had felt extremely odd and self conscious with everyone there.

After Harry showed them how to hold the dagger, where to aim, how to aim and what to do seen as how all walkers and people were taller than them. It was best to kick or shove a walker down on the floor unless of course there were lots of them then the gun was a must.

"This training will be good if you come upon strangers, now like before you shouldn't trust them or go with them, especially now, its simply a survival of the fittest, nothing will change not in our lifetime. If and when a cure if found we'll all be less civilised just like we used to a long, long time ago." Harry told them firmly. "It can just give us hope that we can get back to our way of life some day."

"You can't go telling him to distrust people!" Lori said aghast, staring at him in shock from where she was stood nearby keeping an eye on Harry and what he was teaching her son.

Harry stared at her as if she had grown an additional head, before slowly turning to face Rick and raising a single eyebrow. He was beginning to wonder how the hell those two had stayed together so long. Rick might not be a big time cop investigating murders every day, but bloody hell, he knew how the world worked but Lori seemed unable to comprehend just how nasty it got out there. "Fine," he conceded, shrugging his shoulders, he wasn't Carl's father or mother, he didn't get a say, and so if they wanted to continue to make the world seem like a good place so be it.

Shane bit his tongue, having to physically stop himself saying anything, not liking how dismissive Harry was of Lori. She was a good mother, the best, and he had no right to dismiss her worries so easily and casually.

"Where did you learn to fight?" Carol asked curiously, having watched Harry teach her daughter how to best defend herself from both walkers and humans. Walkers best hitting in the knees or shoving them until they fell then a dagger to the head, humans a much more painful location.

"Trial and error," Harry replied honestly, he never had anyone actually teach him, he'd learned from being beaten to a pulp more often than not by Dudley and his gang. Learned where to punch or kick where it would hurt. "I want you to keep this with you at all times, Sophia, and don't be afraid to use it." he told her, attaching the sheath to her trousers, then placing the dagger in it. He didn't do the same for Carl since he already had one. Carol already had hers, as much as he trained them they would only truly get more confident as they got better at dealing with the walkers.

"Okay," Sophia agreed, pulling her top over the dagger.

"No, you need to be able to get it quickly, always keep your clothes under it," Harry pointed out, "Like mine," nodding in approval when he noticed both kids doing as he suggested. The kids looked exhausted, too much excitement and exercise for one day, they'd been training since this morning, only stopping for lunch. There wouldn't be much daylight left, so it was why he had to get going as soon as possible, Merlin only knows what the hell he was going to tell everyone when he brings her back - and he would, failure wasn't an option, Merle was right, Luna could fight like hell, he refused to believe she'd be taken down by a walker.

"Good, you both did brilliant, well done," he told them smirking a little when they both puffed their chests out in pride and smugness. Sighing softly, muffling a yawn, he rubbed at his tired eyes, he moved off towards his tent, he grabbed his equipment, he'd found himself a carbon matrix compound bow a few weeks into the apocalypse while scavenging. It was much easier to use than Daryl's (or should he say Merle? Since it had been Merle's until he'd given it to his brother) damn crossbow, the kick behind it had left him bruised and sore for days, he'd eventually perfected his aim though. He shrugged the quiver until it laid dead centre on his back and, put a gun in his pocket just to be on the safe side and closed the trunk, it locked automatically. Nobody was going to get into it, and he would know the second someone tried.