Chapter 45

Harry rubbed his eyes, sighing softly as he made his way to the cafeteria, through not through tiredness, his new double bed saw to that and with the most comfortable mattress too. He really hoped something didn't happen to the prison, he would just hate to leave it all behind and start again...especially considering they were still getting everything fixed, although all important parts had been improved it was just little bits here and there to make life easier. Luna and Merle had brought people back yesterday evening, or should he say Luna had since Merle would rather leave people to fend for themselves. What could he say, Luna may have helped Merle mellow out a bit, but when it came to others he had no desire to help them. It was more to do with the honest fact that he felt nobody would have helped him if the situations had been reversed. That and the more people they had in the prison the worse they were being bombarded on all sides from walkers, trying to get in at them. Harry did point out that it could have something to do with the animals too.

Entering the cafeteria, he noticed the small huddled group of people; they were half between gazing around in awe, glancing at the food cooking with raw hunger, or glancing at the others fearfully. The oldest person there was barely in their twenties, which indicated that it was unlikely that the two other younger teens were her kids although they could be related.

"Hello," Harry said, his accent catching them unawares judging by the shock on their faces. The three looked skinny, but that was nothing new nowadays, their clothes were torn and ripped, being held up with rope or shoe laces. The clothes were too big for them but anything was better than nothing. The woman's face was gaunt and tired, she was evidently exhausted. The two boys looked only marginally better. The bag which had been opened and the contents put on the table, three kitchen knives, two jars of nearly empty peanut butter, and a pack of half finished crisps. No water, no bottles, he suspected heavily they'd had to run from a camp they'd set up and grabbed only the bag.

"Are you the leader Luna told us about?" the youngest child there asked, Harry would guess his age to be around perhaps eleven or twelve years of age, despite what happened he seemed to have remained relatively intact, perhaps spared the worst of what happened? Either that or his way of dealing with it was burying it so deeply in his mind and basically forgetting about it. In fact Harry took that back, there was no way he was eleven, he was cute though, blonde curly hair, and yes, even matted and dirty he could see it was curly. They had spent the night in the same place as the prisoners had, but it was much more comfortable now, they always got put in when they were found and Harry wasn't there. Harry and Daryl always had the last say; it was something they had agreed upon. Since his trust in Axel, Big Tiny and Oscar had proven to be true. The others had trusted Shane and look where that had led. Harry, Merle and Daryl hadn't trusted him from the get go so it seemed to be the best thing to do.

"Do I even want to know?" Harry asked Luna his lips quirking in amusement. Wondering what Luna had been telling the child to cheer him up.

Luna just grinned, leaning into Merle slightly, just watching what was going on, Carol was currently hovering over the food, making sure it didn't burn but one couldn't miss the fact she was paying close attention to what was going on. Dale was sitting drinking a cup of coffee with relish. It still hadn't gotten old yet, admittedly they'd only started actively hunting and bring people they found back home (and yes it was their home, for however long it was possible) which wasn't as easy as one would assume. People were afraid of each other now, and usually ran in the opposite direction as fast as their feet could carry them. Fear the walkers and fear the living that seemed to be the motto now for the human race.

"Yes, my name is Harry, this is Luna, Merle, Daryl, Carol and Big Tiny, and Dale and if things go well you may meet the others," Harry informed them, pointing to them in turn, watching their eyes fill with hope. "I just have a few questions for you, ones that I want answered as truthfully as possible, and believe me we will know if you lie, to stay you are required to tell the whole truth we must trust those we let in, I'm sure you can understand that," here he spoke to the girl who looked to be in her twenties.