Chapter 9

Harry and Rick were the last of the Quarry group to say goodbye to the camp, both for different reasons, Rick was taping a map and letter to the red car that had been stripped bare for any parts they could salvage. Harry just leaning against Daryl's truck staring into the woods. He had a sinking feeling deep in his gut, and he listened to his gut these days, going with these people was going to be the death of him. That herd they'd dealt with last night though, the three of them would have been able to deal with it, but Harry couldn't help but wonder if the three of them would have come out on top. A single scratch or bite from one of those things was one hundred percent fatal. Travelling with more than just the three of them would guarantee their survival that is if Merle didn't screw it up for them he thought sardonically.

"Y'all lets go!" Shane shouted, smacking the side of the RV as he disappeared into it once more, a scowl on his features.

The roar of Merle's bike began to lead the way for them all leaving the quarry, Harry sighed but slid into the truck nonetheless, closing the door with a quiet but quick click. "How long?" Harry asked, turning to face Daryl, who was concentrating on the road ahead.

"Two days," Daryl answered, biting his thumb nail, his other hand patting at the wheel to a tune only he could hear.

"Hmm," was all Harry said in reply, stretching out he grabbed his backpack, which by the way wasn't spelled to be a bottomless pit. He couldn't risk anyone actually going into his stuff, so he left it normal, his trunk was obviously a whole other ballgame but most of the time it was shrunk down in his pocket, he never went far without it, much too risky for that. It was all he had left in the world, all he had left of the magical world too. Grabbing a book from his bag, which he discarded on the floor again before flipping open his book and he began to read the advanced medical text he'd removed from his vaults at Gringotts.

As time passed, Harry's various mutterings continued as he read from the book, learning how to heal deep cuts, the spells required to keep it clean and important details like that. He didn't want to use his potions when a spell was there for him to use, spells wouldn't run out potions would, and he had no idea when he would be able to get into the nearest magical area, or if it would even be remotely possible to get in there at all with the walkers everywhere. How many times has the name changed now? Inferi, Rotters, Biters, Geeks and now Walkers.

"What's it like?" Daryl asked, glancing sideways at Harry before retuning to his task at hand.

"What is what like?" Harry queried, coming out of his thoughts about walkers and the world being utter shit.

"Having magic," Daryl prodded, his blue eyes glancing at the book, most of which he realized was written in English with phrases he was sure were in Latin. Harry had said once that it was Latin they chanted in to say their spells.

"I don't know, I mean I've known about my magic for eleven years now, six of it was spent learning to control it," Harry mused thoughtfully, ignoring the snort of amusement, aware of why he was snorting. "I didn't use it an awful lot afterwards...I'm trying to make up for that now, I'll need to be able to heal myself if I ever end up hurt." silently gesturing towards the book.

"After what?" Daryl asked catching the pause.

"After school finished," Harry replied, technically he wasn't even lying. Then he added absently, "I didn't know what I wanted to do with myself, and there were only a dozen or so career options, only one of which was expected of me, other than that...magic can't save you, not any more than a knife can, welcome to the apocalypse." he chuckled darkly, shaking his head life hadn't been easy before the apocalypse but to Harry...life after it had been...easy, less complicated, avoid the walkers, don't get bit or scratched, survive, it just showed how messed up Harry really was.