14. Maa

Black

Black. It enveloped a her body into nothingness. The body floated along the silence, all the way to a white light where echoes were audible. Echoes of soft and subtle voices that made her skin crawl in fear. As she gained consciousness, she looked around in search of help. It was worrying- being in the middle of nowhere and not remembering where you last were. "Anyone here?" Indu called out. She slowly stood on the ground as the wind blew across.

"Indu! That's enough" A heavy voice ordered.

"M-maa? Is that you?" She wailed as she turned around to find the source of the voice.

"Enough?! It was you who started this! I don't want to live with some random guy I don't even know! "The voice was raging and unstable, full of anger.

"You're not living with a random guy! You two played when you were kids!"

"Yes, as KIDS! Its been about 10 years since we last met! How can you expect me to spend the rest of my life with someone I don't even properly know!"

"Me and your father-" That was the last straw, she stood up and dashed towards her room. "Indu! Come back here, right now!" 

This was the day I died. How is it possible for me to view it all again?

"Maa?" Indu slowly walked towards the lady, hoping she could talk to her. "Indu," The the voice seemed heavy as if it held many burdens on itself, "How are you?" Both of them slightly smiled as she responded, "I'm fine, maa. But, where am I?"

The lady chuckled and hugged her daughter. She asked her to follow her as she moved towards the nothingness. "I can show you the way out."

She extended her hand out, hoping Indu would hold it.  Indu smiled and reached out to hold her hand. 

Don't trust anyone, sakhi.

The words ringed through her ears but it was too late to take back her hand. She fell down for what seemed like a few hours. Screams of agony filled her mind and cries of despair surrounded her when all she could see was bodies.

Dead Bodies. Many dead bodies.

She struggled to scream. She screamed again and again but there was no voice audible, making her feel helpless. Tears swelled up in her eyes and she moved around helplessly.

Indu?

Indu?!

Her eyes immediately opened as she sat up, heavily breathing. She looked around to find her brothers staring at her in concern. She took a moment to understand everything and concluded that all of it was nothing but a nightmare.

"Indu?" She look at Nakul who asked her if she was alright. "Y-yeah, I am fine." Everyone were no longer in their royal attires. She examined her body. She was still in her lehenga with bruises and burns all around her body. Most of those were covered in medicinal and herbal pastes.