58. Madhu and Smika

DAY 1

DAY 1

Sometime After Midnight

Kurukshetra

Oh, the moisture-laden winds, how they brushed against her face. How the blush crept up on her face. She sat in the middle of the tent, looking around at the chaos. The rose was well-placed in her hair but it fell down in front of her as if the wind pushed it away. A little butter smeared on her lips and a pot of melted butter was in front of her.

"Madhu, stop finishing the butter. At least, help me a bit." Vishaka huffed at the girl. "I'm 15, while you're 14! You don't need my help!" She chuckled as her honey-like voice left her mouth. Vishaka, daughter of one of the dasis with higher prominence, sighed as she went back to her work. The dasis inside the tent were panicking. They had been asked to inform everyone to come to the pyre, but they hadn't gone themselves. They were unsure if they were welcomed.

Madhu snacked on melted butter while glancing at the fallen rose, unsure of what to do with it. Her mother had given it to her and she was missing her quite a lot. Her father was away from her, too. If only, she could get a chance to see them once.

"Vishaka, call your mother!" One of the elder dasis entered the tent, panting. Vishaka hurried off to the other side of the tent, alarmed at her tone. Her mother came rushing afterwards.

"What happened, kaki?"

"Rajkumari Agnishika has jumped into the tainted pyre!"

Madhu, unknowingly, grabbed her rose and ran outside of the tent. Vishaka followed her soon after. "W-what happened, Madhu?" She questioned, looking at the sudden state of sadness. The little girl sniffled, looking at the fire-lit torches near her. It was her home, the fire. And two parts of the fire were already gone. Vishaka hugged her, soothing her down. Trying to cheer her up, she thought of some games and jests.

"Madhu, you know how we roleplay like royalty sometimes, right?" She asked as the one referred to nodded. "Well, if any of us ever become royalty, then let's promise that the other one of us will be their maid and always with them! Alright?" She smiled as Madhu chuckled. "You wouldn't want that!" She assured with a giggle.

***

"And your head hurts, sometimes?" Indu questioned Satyalekha whose head rested on her lap. She swayed her hands on her forehead as she talked to her. Everyone was back from the oceanside and were now, resting in their tents.

"Yes, Mata. And some random images flash in my mind. Those also come in dreams, when I'm asleep." She pouted.

Satyadev walked in and smiled at the two. Indu passed him a worrisome glance and he was to sit beside her. He sat beside Indu and took Smika's legs on his lap.

"And these images, do they look like us?" Indu questioned while Satyadev realised what was going on. The little girl nodded and said, "I saw Agnishika chachi walking into the fire in my dreams. A-and it happened." The mother sighed, getting a déjà vu. "And there's this other life I have. I-I don't know how to explain it, Maa. But there's this other reality of me. Other parents, other friends, weird clothes and gadgets."

"That's your past life." She planted a kiss on her forehead as she subtly kept her head on the pillow. She stood up and so did Satyadev. "You're from the future, Smika. Just like your mother." Satyadev smiled, ruffling her hair.

"Really?" She exclaimed, "All that is just my past life, from the future?" She chuckled, enthusiastically. "You can ask your Mamashree Kanha about everything, alright? He'll have all the answers." Indu smiled, proudly. Looking at a younger version of herself, the child that she brought into this world, was just like her. And this time, she could help the little girl with rights and wrongs. She knew she'd be wonky at it, but at least she had her husband's help.

***

"All," Karn shouted. "I have gathered you here to introduce a special someone to you. Someone who has lost a mother."

The Kauravas huffed, annoyed that they were called to this somewhat of a meeting. The Pandavas were sure to keep their weapons with them, incase an attack ensues. Indu groaned, knowing whatever would happen next would devour her sleep. And knowing her already messed up sleep schedule, she wasn't getting any rest tonight. Smika stood with her cousins wanting to share her recent realisation. They talked with each other and it surely disturbed her that she was the only girl in the whole set of children.

"Meet her, the unknown child of mine and Agnishika. This is our daughter, born without a wedding. Considered impure, but her purity is like that of Agnidev and Suryadev. Our daughter, living with maids upon fear of society. Agni always wanted children, but she didn't want them to suffer. The only one who knew her was none other than Rajkumari Draupadi. Here is our daughter, Madhusmriti." He smiled weakly, looking over at the young woman who walked in front of him.

Everyone's eyes were drawn towards the girl as if a magnet was acting on them. Her beauty and elegance reeked with every step she took. There was no way that everyone living in the Indraprastha Palace hadn't realised her to be royalty, she looked nothing like a maid. And how on earth, had Agnishika hidden her pregnancy from the rest of the people?

Everyone wondered similar questions as the girl bowed down and touched the feet of her father. She went turn by turn, greeting everyone and taking their blessings. The adults decided to tread lightly, considering the child had just lost her mother.

"You are so pretty. I saw you in my dream!" Smika smiled, looking up at Madhusmriti. "Are you Satyalekha? I seem to have seen you in my dreams too." The girl answered with a smile, shocked to see the same girl from her dreams in front of her.

"Guess everyone's from the future now." Indu chuckled but soon shut up when Yudishthir passed her a glare to acknowledge the tense situation. "How did you hide the pregnancy from everyone?" Yudishthir questioned.

"We didn't, really. She kept wearing heavy clothings. No one really paid much attention to her and no one was as attentive as Arjun, who luckily at the time was away for exile." Karn sighed. All nodded, realising that they'd really treated her like an outsider.

"We welcome you into the family, Madhusmriti." Devika smiled, adoring the young girl.

"A loss is a profit," Indu once said in jest to Nakul upon stealing his laddoo. But perhaps, she was right. The loss of the two fire-borns welcomed a young girl into the family. Madhusmriti carried the graceful walk of Draupadi and the fierce eyes of Agnishika. She was, as if, a blended potion of the two.