75. 50 Shades of My Blood

Day 4

Day 4

Midnight

Pandavas' camp

Kurukshetra

A man stumbled in the field, shivering due to the cold of the night. A blanket wrapped around his torso was clutched tightly by him. He wore dull clothes, not of great attraction. His ears had pieces of iron and silver earrings, shining contrary to his physique.

"Is this the Pandava camp?" The man's voice came, hoarse and breathy. The stench of his breath made the soldiers scowl. He waited impatiently as one of the soldiers went in for permission for his entry.

"Maharaj Satyadev of Matsya has asked your identity and purpose." The soldiers returned, awry of the man.

"I am a merchant, who works inter-kingdoms. The husband of Jyoti and father of Chirayu. I am Sankalp." The man said, his voice rasping as he said the name of his deceased wife.

The soldier nodded and hurried in to inform the king. Satyadev and Indulekha, walked outside to the camp's entrance, the latter's hand shaking due to immense blood loss and yet carrying Chirayu.

"Sankalp Mahoday, please accompany us inside," Satya spoke and started walking, guiding his exhausted wife. They entered the sabha where all of Indu's brothers had been summoned.

"How's the fatigue?" Sahadev asked as Indu sat beside him, purposefully trying to avoid Nakul. On her right sat Satyadev, who held her palm in his.

"It's tiring." She replied with a slight smile, trying not to unveil the elaborate mixture of emotions she was feeling. The meditation had calmed her down slightly, so she'd be able to talk. Chirayu rested on her lap, giggling and playing with Indu's braid.

"I am Sankalp. I am Chirayu's father and Jyoti's husband. I was told that you have taken my child as well, Samrat, and I want him back." He said, his eyes red and glaring at Yudishthir.

"Jyoti had entrusted us with Chirayu, in a way. Since you have arrived, neither has Chirayu wanted to go to you and neither has he cared for your presence. How can we be sure that you are his father?" Nakul questioned, narrowing his eyes at him. The man was clearly under the influence of alcohol, Arjun noticed. He made eye contact with Karn, who understood his message and nodded, slightly.

"I was away for trade, even before his birth. So he doesn't know I'm his father." Sankalp's words slurred, ever so slightly that anyone who wasn't trained to pay attention to detail wouldn't have figured out that he was drunk.

Yudishthir's gaze kept shifting to Indu, making sure she wasn't uncomfortable. Sahadev, beside her, ensured that she felt alright.

"Sir, are you under the influence of alcohol?" Yudishthir questioned, trying not to be blunt.