68.

Day 3

Day 3

Midnight

Indulekha's tent

Kurukshetra

Indulekha sat on her bed, making no movements as her head rested on Sahadev's shoulder. She played with the light glowing from her hands, making sure it wasn't too bright. The form of energy danced along her fingers as she gazed at it in thought.

Sahadev, who had been sleeping, woke up from his slumber. Squinting his eyes as he adjusted to the glow of her hands, he let out a small yawn.

"You aren't sleeping? Satyadev told me that you didn't sleep yesterday, or the day before that either. You can't continue this." He mumbled as she kept her head rested.

"Sleep doesn't come to me anymore, Bhrata. It's not comfort, only plain torture." She replied, the glow of her hands dying out. He wrapped his arm around her, letting her rest her head more comfortably on his shoulder.

"The nightmares?" Sahadev asked as she nodded after contemplating whether to tell him or not.

"I thought they were gone."

"They never were, Bhrata." Her reply was simple, yet her brother's anguish increased upon realising he hadn't been there for her during the time.

But, really, had any of her brothers been there? He fell deep in thought. All of the brothers, working in their own way to apologise and amend their mistakes, forgot to truly be there for her when she required it.

"I think you should go to your tent. Bhabhi-shree Vijaya must be worried." Indu stood up, patting the mattress to adjust it.

"That reminds me, where are Arya and Smika?" She asked, a frown growing on her forehead.

"I'll go ask the soldiers and ask them to send the two to you." Sahadev said as he hurried outside.

Indu followed him but stopped right behind the tent's drapes, deciding not to go outside dressed only in a kurta and jean-like pants. She headed back to her desk, sighing as no news came to her after a long time.

The tent's drape opened, revealing a man with a solemn expression on his face. His hands carried a pouch, which seemed liquid-ish. He walked over to Indulekha and plopped in her hands.

"Kanha, what is this?"

"My blood," He mumbled as she dropped onto the table from her palm and looked at him, creeped out.

"Hey, don't treat it like that. People would die to even touch that, alright?" He scolded her as she looked at him dumbfounded.

"That's big and- and, and full! Are you fine? What even-"

"I'm completely fine," Krishna replied, a ghost of his signature smile on his face.

"Wh-, uh alright. Why would you, why'd you give that to me?" Indu looked back at the pouch on the table, irked out.

"I need you to store it, use it, even, if you want to," He shrugged as she stared at him in horror.

"Store?! And why would I use it, I'm not some vampire." She mumbled, closing her eyes in frustration.

"Well, I need it. Store it or use it to your benefit, but I need it back tomorrow." He said, taking the pouch in his hands and placing it in her palms as she stared at him, mortified.

"Alright, I-I will, um, store it." She placed it on the table with care, getting an affirmative nod from the God.

"I think I shouldn't be questioning you about that, huh?" Indu mumbled, getting off from the seat and facing Kanha. He nodded, putting his arms around her shoulders as she came in for a hug.

"I can't handle this, Kanha, it's too hard."

His gone smile came back, his hand patting her head.

"I wouldn't have gotten you to this Yug if you couldn't have handled it," She nodded, and his voice played like a melody to her ears.

"I hope that's true,"

Krishna let go of the hug and held her shoulders.

"It is."

"You have way more confidence in me than I have for myself," She gave a watery smile.

He nodded, "What's on your mind?"

"Don't you already know that?"

He shrugged as she raised her eyebrow. The two stood there in stillness, as Indulekha's mind spiralled with overthinking. Her mind always went to the worst scenarios, focusing on every single detail, though they were always the wrong ones. But when you have God right in front of you, it seems to calm you down.

"Satyadev and Smika aren't in the tent yet and it's- well, you know the time." She spoke, her eyes searching for an answer on his face.

He, simply, nodded.

"They should be back soon. Is there anything else that you want to talk about? " He asked, his face gleaming with optimism but his eyes spoke different words. They looked empty. His soulful, mischievous eyes were replaced with cold ones.

Of course, he knew that Indu wasn't talking about what was truly going on in her mind.

She sighed. "I can't ever hide anything from you." She stated with a watery smile.

" Bhrata Sahadev told me something a prahar ago. The right decisions are often the hardest ones. Is that correct?"

"That may be true." Krishna's voice, though calming, did not satisfy her question. As she was about to speak, he beat her to it, "But, the easiest way is what you're looking for, right? Well, it isn't for everyone."

He stared into her eyes, his cold ones slowly gaining their light.

"Only the smartest way is the easiest one,"

Indulekha nodded, hoping she'd understand the meaning of that when the time came.

"There was a man, once, in Kaliyug. Had many friends. Once, his brother had asked him to organise his birthday party on a specific date. The problem was, that the man had promised his best friend that he'd throw him a promotion party on the same date. Torn between the two options, where he had to ditch one plan for another or plan two parties, wasting more resources. He chose to combine the parties, an option which he hadn't been given. He saved twice his work, and didn't offend anyone. Maybe, that'll help you out."

Without saying anything else, Krishna flashed a smile and walked out, leaving the Chandraputri alone. She'd hoped he'd come back in and accompany her, but he didn't do so. From outside, the God's voice came like the tune of a flute, slithering and swimming through the air. Deeply resembling her father's, unlocking the closed door in her mind. The voice was forgotten, but never unrecognizable. She smiled, her tears flowing with appreciation for her Kanha, and the act he'd done. The voice reached her ears.

"I'm not telling you another story, Chandralekha. Go to sleep, child."

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·