56. The Beginning of the End

Day 1

Day 1

Kurukshetra

Red mixed with the air was a sight to behold. Flags swayed around and the armies gathered. A wave of enthusiasm washed over the Pandava army. The wives of the Pandavas worshipped Maa Kalratri, providing her with a sacrifice. The fire blessed the ones who bowed before him as he accepted the donations. The Pandavas--Yudishthir, Bheem, Nakul, Sahadev and Indulekha-- yielded their weapons with pride etching over their faces.

"Make me proud, Maa" Smika smiled as she saw the five getting their aarti done. Indu brought her daughter in for a hug and blessed her. Satyadev and Karn shared looks, adoring the mother-daughter duo. Krishna pulled out a chariot, in which no one knew who'd sit. Indu looked at him in worry, not only for her brother but also about how much she had changed this well-planned tale of destiny.  She stood in front of Maa Kali's idol, alerting and calling out to the soldiers.

"It is, finally, the beginning of the end. The end of evil men, the birth of a new life. The end of sins, the birth of dharma. We will raise our weapons and fight till our last breath, soldiers. Let us raise our morale and our strengths, by the blessings of Maa Kalratri. Let us understand Maa Kalratri, a representation of the horror of wars. Let us understand our morals, dharma and attain victory!" Indu growled in excitement, screaming 'victory' as the army and her brothers joined her.

In the Kaurava camp, Mahadev's blessings were hoped for. The 100 brothers accepted their aarti but one of them knew, that no blessing was given unto them. Dusshasan put on a weak smile as the cold kumkum-stained fingers of his wife brushed along his forehead. He skimmed his hands over his tilak, unsure of his choices.

The brothers gave him a side-eye, no one giving him the same love he'd gotten before. Duryodhan, of all, shoved past him and ignored his existence. He had it rough, and yet he had made up his mind to spend his last moments with his brothers.

The armies gathered on the battlefield. The soil was ever-so dry and rough, soon to be painted red with the blood of the sinners. Indu took a breath in as her eyes cast downwards towards her charioteer, whom she was awry of. He had forced her to come upon his chariot, which she was suspicious of but she gave in, regardless. And here she was, in the chariot of this man who'd forced her on. Well, to say forced would be an exaggeration. He'd simply asked her and she got in upon him asking the second time. I mean, who wouldn't if their charioteer was the Supreme Lord himself?

Yes, the man who'd "forced" her to get on the chariot was none other than her beloved Kanha. And she had listened to him when he said he wouldn't answer any questions.

"You know, Kanha, sometimes explaining things out might help." Indu jested to which he chuckled. "Then, I wouldn't get the reaction I want." He replied, moving forward and keeping his pace with the other chariots. "Am I going to be the one who you explain the truth to?" She blurted, wanting to get rid of the thought. Kanha chuckled.