44. Agyatvasa

"Go ahead, ask for what you want

"Go ahead, ask for what you want." Chandra dev smiled at his daughter as she joined her hands. She had, jokingly, asked for her father to grant her a boon but she didn't realise that he took her words seriously.

She shrugged, feeling guilty. She tried to think of something but nothing came to her mind.

"Fine, I'll give a boon of my choice."

She nodded, with a apologetic look in her eyes.

"Your beauty is known world-wide, putri, but that will be a problem for you while your agyatvasa. I grant you a boon, that for one year, whenever you want, your identity and your beauty shall change. You shall not look like your old self. But as whoever you want to look like."

She smiled, realising that this would've been heavily necessary. Grateful for the mistake she did, her brothers facepalmed themselves with a heartily chuckle.

***

As the night engulfed Hastinapur, six people arrived at the boundary of the city. The flambeau flickered under the moonlight and the trees shivered with the breeze of the darkness.

"It's a good idea to hide in plain sight, Indu," Nakul whispered as he switched his hand holding the torch.
"But it's stupid at the same time," Bheem rolled his eyes, smiling at Indu who gawked at him in offence.
"If we get caught, we blame you, Indu." Yudhishthir mumbled.
The six sighed, looking at the cave in front of them. "Are you sure that this is the only way to get inside without getting caught?"
Arjun nodded and glanced at his Jyeshta who said, "Even when I was the Yuvraj, I wasn't aware of this path. I'm sure no one will find us."
They entered the dark cave while Nakul stood in front, guiding them with the torch. Soon enough, they were inside the city of Hastinapura. Their hands bruised from taking support of the rocks, their feet swollen from travelling so far away and their eyes heavy from lack of sleep. They weren't in a great condition, whatsoever.

"We can live with someone, ask for refuge maybe?" Indu smiled at the five who nodded.

"But Indu, after SindhRaj abducted you, you didn't seem much fazed. Are you fine?" Nakul whispered in her ear.

"I am. I trusted my capabilities and could protect myself until Bhrata Arjun came." She smiled at him to which he smiled back.

The city was drowned in darkness, not one lamp lit upon their Queen Gandhari's orders. Because for her, it was of no difference but also because that's the darkness she knew her sons would face. Better to prepare them from now, right?

When the animals, birds and the citizens of Hastinapur were deep in slumber, there was a young woman singing lullabies to her child in front of her small house. The siblings approached her, with a smile on their face. Seeing their condition, the woman slightly frowned. She was dressed in dull blue clothes and her arms were filled with bruises and scars, and yet the palms which held her child seemed soft. "Are you all fine?" Was the first question she asked. Her voice was raspy, Indu noticed, unlike when she was singing lullabies to her baby.