78. Codes, Chausar and Caution

Day 5

Day 5

Night

Pandava Camp

Kurukshetra

"I mean, it is adorable that you think you could possibly manipulate me." Indulekha quotes her favourite character from Kaliyug, Loki, as she narrows her eyes at Satyadev.

"I classify this as gaslighting—," he spoke,"—which, you are awful at. Look at the stitches, this has to hurt." She commented, squeezing his hands in her palms.

A while ago, he tried his best to prove Indu wrong and term her worry about his injury as 'unnecessary'.

Indu tended to his injuries for a while, after scolding Uttara about keeping the injury a secret from her. Though Arjun soon came to rescue his daughter-in-law from his sister, Indu didn't stop the lectures even after that. Abhimanyu also faced his aunt's wrath when he tried to intervene and help his wife.

Indu gave Satyadev some soup, insisting she feed him but Uttara had beat her to it. Though you'd think the Kaliyugi would be angered at that, she just looked at the sibling duo with a smile. Her work was done, she gave him the shawl she had knit and Satyadev was content.

Indulekha walked out of the tent, another one of her self-knitted yarn shawls wrapped around her, coloured in hues of the night—blue, black and white. The cold wasn't bothering her, the breezes playing with her braided locks weren't chilly, either. The flame of the torches was enough for warmth.

Flame.

It had given Indu the best memories, and taken them away too. It had given her Draupadi and Agnishika, and taken them away in the blink of an eye. It had given her a hard time in Lakshagraha, but in front of the flame, she had gotten married. The flame gave her Indraprastha, burning the forest of Khandavaprastha, but it also lived long enough to take Draupadi away.

All these thoughts spiralled through her head and her mind finally paused on one, and only one.

Karn.

His life had turned upside down in a matter of a few years, had he adjusted to it yet?

Indulekha, hoping to have a talk with her eldest brother, made her way to his tent.

<A While Ago>

Enchanting, alluring and divine.

She was a mix of these, a perfectly blended woman in dismay. With her locks tied into a braid, her churamani resting on her head and strands of her hair falling on her face, the woman entered the tent.

"Bhabhi-shree Bhanumati?" Karn said, giving her a calm smile as she entered. After having taken his permission to enter, her arrival was no longer a surprise. He sat on the floor, a board of a dice game in front of him. The dice were thrown onto the board, but pieces on it.