51. Aarambh

"Man kare so praan de, Jo man kare so praan le

Wahi toh ek sarvshaktiman hai."

The armies assembled.

The Pandavas took blessing of the brown soil of Kurukshetra, waiting to be painted red.

The Kauravas did the same, but unaware that the soil which they worshipped was going to ask for their lives.

"Mamashree! Why aren't you listening to me?! We have Maharathis like Pitamah Bhishma and Guru Drona, neither of them can be slain. We even have more quantity of soldiers than them. We can easily win." Duryodhan sighed, believing that he was right.

"Mere bacche, which war's result is known beforehand? For Mahamahim, there's Devi Shikhandini and for Guru Drona, there's Drishtadyumna. These both were born to kill them. And now that foolish Karn has joined them too, and I have heard some rumours that he is the eldest brother of the Pandavas. You can barely win." Shaunki replied in one breath. He knew they would lose easily. He, like anyone else, didn't want to die without taking his revenge.

But, for him, this seemed like his revenge. The whole Kuruvansh seemed to be breaking apart, and it was perfect for him. Mahamahim would be slain on the battlefield, what's better than that? Seeing his family break apart, Bhishma would finally realise that the havoc was created by him. As so Shakuni thought.

"First, we need to prevent Devi Shikhandni from entering the battlefield."

But GandharRaj knew, that killing his own grandsons, living with the guilt and seeing the wrong person on the throne of Hastinapur would hurt Bhisma more.

***

"Greetings, everyone." Shakuni fake-smiled.

"Let's revise the rules for the war, shall we?"

The warriors, gathered in the tent, nodded.

"It is known, that the war stats at dawn and ends at dusk. But dusk shall be when one cannot see in the darkness anymore, and not right after sunset." He suggested, analysing others' reaction.

"What logic is this? The day ends when the sun sets, and that's universal." Bheem scoffed, rolling his eyes.

"He says right. My suggestion is, that dawn and dusk, will be at sunrise and sunset, and shall be announced by the sound of a conch shell. I think the Generals should be given the duty for that." Bhisma replied.

"Very well, Mahamahim." Shakuni nodded, joining his hands.

"Now, let's discuss the rest of the rules. Only one warrior shall fight with another warrior,"

The rest nodded.

"And each warrior shall fight with a warrior of its own category."

The rest nodded, again.

"A defenceless, injured or one who comes to seek shelter should be harmed by anyone."

No one objected.

"Any warrior who breaks this rule shall be given a death sentence, and the duty for that will be of the Senapati of that warrior."

No one objected, again.

"Now, before we finish this meeting. Let's talk about the first rule, again. Any warrior shall not fight a warrior of a different category. But, in our shastra and according to our traditions, men and women are of different categories. Isn't that correct?"

The six Pandavas shared a look with each other, communicating about what their Mamashree was talking about.

"Even if there is an argument with a woman, attacking her is proven to be a path to hell."

"GandharRaj, I don't think that would be a problem," Indu replied.

"After all, I don't think any of you seem to be away from the path to hell. Hadn't you all dragged me to the Dyut Sabha? I think that does count as attacking a woman, that too defenceless." She smiled, sweetly.

"Maharani," Shakuni, putting on a tight-lipped smile, called out. "Who would, in their right mind, ever attack a pious woman?"

She smiled back, stifling a laugh.

"I'm sure that the women who have decided to participate in the war are well-trained to be in the same category as many warriors here. And the women don't have a single problem at being struck;that's how the war works." Kanha replied, bearing his honey-like smile.

"Very well then," He sighed.

"The meeting ends here, then."

"Who gives life and takes life, whenever he deems correct,
Is the only one Almighty."

"