35. Dusshasan's Regret

Dawn arose in the city of Indraprastha

Dawn arose in the city of Indraprastha. Rays from the sun enlightened the town. Perhaps it was the only ray of hope the subjects had left for them. The Pandavas had already given their goodbyes to the palace and its luxuries, to the people in it and their love.

Indu, dressed in the brown clothing we were given, bid farewell to the people in front of her.

"Indu?"

She heard a voice which she could tell was Dusshasan's. "Forgive me, please." She turned around to see him on his knees and hands joint, head bowed down. "I couldn't be a great brother to you, I couldn't protect you and I dragged you into the court, despite your constant denials. I hurt you. I couldn't believe it at that moment that yet again, in my efforts of impressing my elders, I had hurt those who had loved me. I have seen more love from you, Indu, than I have from Bhrata Duryodhan. I'm sorry for every crime I've committed against you and your brothers. For poisoning Bhrata Bheema, the Lakshagraha, dividing the kingdom, this dyut sabha. If possible, please, please, forgive me."

Indu let a huge smile break on her face. She made Dusshasan stand and gave him an endearing hug. "It's not the thought that counts for me, it's the action. I can't thank you enough for not supporting him during the Vastraharan."

The five brothers, with looks of shock and smiles on their faces, hugged Dusshasan and he reciprocated the hug. "I shall not participate in the war, I do not want to fight against any of my brothers. But I shall spend my time with them, trying to help them improve as people. They are already furious at me, but I shall spend all the time I have left with them, with them."

Words couldn't explain how proud Indu was of Dusshasan. The courage it might've taken to go against about 100 people was something she believed she lacked. She always felt that Dusshasan seemed emotionally exhausted. Trying to prove his worth and strengths to his brothers, parents, Mahamahim Bhishma, Guru Drona and so many others. 

And now, he had proven his strength.

***

Deep in the lush forest, the Pandavas were resting and planning the war.

"Perhaps strengthening our weaknesses would be more beneficial than strengthening our strengths." Indu smiled, sitting down on the dewy grass.

"Indu, you can help us with-"

"No, I want to participate in the war. I want to learn weaponry and warfare. Can you all teach me, together?"

"Indu, you cannot participate in the war, we won't let any more harm reach you." Arjun replied to which Bheem agreed.

"Bhrata, I'm not changing my decision. 12-13 years are enough for me to master it, I will do my best. Please teach me."

The brothers share a look and nod, "Fine, of course. We'll all teach you."

"I will participate in the war."