15. Draupadi

The sun rose over the city of Panchal as the two fire-born princesses were talking a stroll around the palace. The sunlight entered the palace from wherever it could. The two gossiped about the new things they noticed and/or understood about. They had done this at the end of every week.

"A mirror. It's pretty interesting; I could see myself!" The girl said, caressing her own face. 

"Weapons for me, Draupadi. " Both of them chuckled. Though it was a few months since they were born, they would still get stunned at many things. 

 "Rajkumari Draupadi, Rajkumari Agnishika, The king has called for you." A dasi told them as she arrived. 

As the two princesses arrived, they saw their father smile at them with a prideful look.

"Arjun is perfect for you, Draupadi. I will arrange a swayamvar which only the best archer can win." Maharaj Drupad announced, leaving Draupadi in happiness and  Agnishika in shock. 

Her emotionless face stared at her sister. "Why, father?" asked Agnishika as he sighed.  He had a deep desire to let one of his daughters marry Arjun. In his eyes, Arjun was the best warrior.

"I want her to marry Arjun." He simply said, not wishing to explain further. 

"Then how is it a swayamvar if you've already chosen her husband?"

"Stop aruing, Agnishika. She will marry Arjun." He glared at her, not wanting her to argue more. He had wished to arrange her swayamvar as well, but Krishna had guided him against it. The reason was unknown for all, but Agnishika accepted it.

 The reason was unknown for all, but Agnishika accepted it

She lowered her eyes in defeat. One of her chances was gone. But she still didn't have to worry, there were a few more chances. 

The princesses left for their chambers. Draupadi was overly excited by the thought of getting married, but there was a thought that was bugging her. 

What if Agnishika was right? What if I don't want to marry him?

"Draupadi," Agnishika entered the chamber. Draupadi, who was sitting on her bed, glanced at her twin. "This isn't right." She said as she sat beside her. "You should marry the one you wish to." Her eyebrows knit up in confusion. Yes, what she said was right but was Arjun bad? Why was Agnishika upset with this decision?

"So, promise me. If someone else wins the swayamvar, you will accept them. And you will not stop anyone from participating."

Draupadi was fine with it. As said by her father, only Arjun could win it. And if someone else did win it, that means their strength and competence is equal to that of Arjun's. 

"Promise."

---

As Arjun and Indu arrived, the arrival of Rajkumaris was announced. She told Arjun and left for the temple.