7) Mark and Jr. (GOT7) - Almost is Never Enough (Angst)

Members: Mark and Jr. of GOT7

Description: After holding onto his feelings for too long, Jr. loses his chances of being with Mark.

Genre: Angst

Inspiration: The song "Almost Is Never Enough" by Ariana Grande featuring my husband Nathan Sykes

Jr. sat at his desk with a blank expression spread across his entire face. He was lost in his own thoughts and couldn't seem to find a way out. All he could think about was the mistake he made, what seemed like, so long ago and how much he regretted his choice.

It was a Sunday and Jr. and Mark were stuck in their cramped and stuffy office cubicals once again. There was complete silence among them, both of them only breaking it to ask a question. Some time during the hour they had been there, one of their other co-workers showed up.

"Hey Jr.," Jackson said with a friendly smile.

"Jackson," Jr. said with no particular tone in his voice, keeping his eyes focused on his work.

"Hi Mark," Jackson said with a wider smile and a little more pep in his voice. Mark looked up from his compute screen and returned the younger male's smile before saying,

"Hi Jackson. How are you?"

"I'm just swell," Jackson replied, emitting a small laugh from Mark. "How are you?"

"I'm good," Mark said, a more timid smile on his lips this time. Jr. just happened to look over at this point and felt like puking at what he was witnessing. Could Jackson make it anymore obvious that he liked Mark?

"So, what brings you here?" Jr. asked, putting what he was doing on hold so he could look at Jackson. Jackson was a little taken back by the barely noticeable harsh tone on Jr.'s voice, but he answered anyway, shrugging it off.

"I just came by to tell Mark that I talked to the boss man today, and he said he was having trouble choosing someone else to go on that two-year trip to Japan," Jackson started to explain, earning Mark's undivided attention. "So, I might have mentioned your name, and he just told me that you got the job." Mark's eyes widened when he heard this unexpected news; he wanted to go in this trip ever since he first heard about it, but never once dreamt he actually would be able to.

"Are you serious?" he said in disbelief.

"Yes." Jackson nodded, a grin on his lips. "You, my friend, are the chosen one."

"Oh my God!" Mark exclaimed in excitement as he rose to his feet. "Thank you so much, Jackson!" He wrapped his arms around the younger in a hug in which Jackson instantly returned, causing Jr. to scowl under his breath in disgust. "When does the plane leave?" he asked upon breaking the hug and taking a few steps back.

"In three days," Jackson answered. "He already paid for the tickets, so I guess he'll them to us tomorrow."

"Awesome! I'm so excited!" Mark cheered, clapping his hands.

"I guess so." Jackson chuckled, unable to control a smile from spreading itself across his lips. "Well, I should get back to work, so I stop by with your ticket tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay." Mark nodded. "I'll be here." Jackson smiled again and then said before leaving,

"Bye, Jr."

"Bye," Jr. said, plastering on a fake smile.

"I can't believe this," Mark said in absolute awe as he plopped back in his chair. "I'm going to Japan. Isn't this exciting, Jr.?"

"It really is, Mark," Jr. said as he faced Mark, who was still smiling like an idiot. "I'm so happy for you."

"Thanks," Mark said, suddenly sounding shy as he turned his blushing face away.

"I think Jackson has a thing for you," Jr. said as he started clicking away at his laptop again.

"What?" Mark asked in bewilderment.

"I saw the way he looked at you," Jr. said, shifting to meet his eyes with the elder's still baffled face. "Plus, there had to be some sort of reason he mentioned your name to the boss."

"Y-You think so?" Mark questioned, glancing in the direction that Jackson had walked.

"Sure." Jr. sighed, leaning back in his chair. Mark could sense a slight uncomfortableness in his voice, but decided not to say anything.

"Well, even if he did," Mark started as he tried to change the subject, "I don't think I could like him back."

"Why not? I'm sure he's a great guy," Jr. said with furrowed eyebrows.

"Oh, I know he is," Mark said. "It's just...I like someone else, that's all." Jr.'s eyes widened at the sound of the elder's words. Who could this someone else be?

"O-Oh...you do, do you?" Jr. said, sitting back up, as he tried to cover up his rapidly beating heart.

"Yeah," Mark said softly, his eyes locking on Jr.'s as his breath hitched. It stayed like that for a while until Mark cleared his throat and started to speak again. "Jr., I-"

"I-I just forgot," Jr. said, cutting the rest of Mark's sentence off as he got on his feet. "My sister wanted me to pick her up from work today. Y-You see, her car needs a new battery, so I kind of have to be her chauver until it gets fixed."

"Oh," Mark said, trying to hold back incoming tears. "Okay." Jr. could feel the hurt in Mark's voice and it sliced his heart up into pieces to know that it was his fault. "W-Well, I'll see you tomorrow, right?" Jr. finished collecting his things and looked Mark in his brown eyes, almost getting lost in them for a few seconds.

"Yeah, of course you will," Jr. said with a smile as he snapped out of his trance. He made sure he had everything and then exited his cubical. "Bye, Mark."

"Bye, Jr."

Those were the last words Mark ever spoke to Jr. and Jr. hated that. He hated the fact that he never did return to work the next day, but instead took a "personal day" off. He hated that he never picked up any of the calls Mark left him or answered any of the texts he sent. But most of all, he hated that he didn't even say goodbye to him before he left for Japan.

Feeling his eyes begin to sting with saltiness, Jr. covered his face with his hands and tried hard to fight off the tears that were trying to break down his barriers. But he lost that battle in the end and broke out into a silent sob for the third night in a row.