Chapter 1~ how i cope

*a week after the fire*
This was killing me. A week had already passed and I'm still in the same position as I was before. Heart broken. Why us?

I was interrupted from my thoughts when I heard a loud knock come from my front door. At first I was confused until I checked my phone to see that I had 50 messages from my trios group chat.

I only really had two close friends. I wasn't a very social person. Madison and Harper were the only two people I trusted now he was gone.

I sighed getting to my feet to open the door.
"Thank god! You scared us!" Madison flung her arms around me as I opened the door.

"You look terrible" Harper looked at me. I sent her a sad look. They both knew what had happened obviously. I haven't left my room for the whole week.

"I'm aware. Why are you here anyway?" I looked at them confused as we made our way to the living room.

"You haven't replied to our messages all week. You were worrying us." Madison spoke still the sound of worry in her tone.

"I'm fine Mads. Just having a hard time. I thought that was obvious?" I assured them. The truth is, I wasn't fine. At all. This is probably the worst I had been since my parents car crash.

"You're not a good liar Kenz." Harper looked at me, holding in a laugh. I just glared at her. She's never been good with serious topics.

"You need to go out Kenz. Take your mind off of it!" Madison dragged me off the sofa I had sat back down on. From this moment on, I knew I had already lost.

"Like where Mads? Nowhere excites me anymore! I just wanna stay here!" I whined but she just starting shaking her head.

"Nope! I don't care! You're coming with us to the coffee shop! Starting simple, yeah?" The coffee shop never bothered me. I always wanted to go, it was relaxing but now it was just... a coffee shop.

"Fine! Let me go and get changed first!" I stood up rolling my eyes. As Madison just smirked, knowing that she always got her way in these situations.

About 10 minutes later I walked out of my room in the outfit that had been layed out across my bed since the day of the fire.

"Aww the outfit I bought you!" Harper smiled at me. It's rare I wore anything she got me as her taste was just... not the best.

I was wearing a pair of blue skinny jeans and a casual pink top. I knew it was cold and that's when I came up with an excuse to wear something the girls would be annoyed with.

I ran back into my bedroom grabbing the familiar green hoodie. It still smelt like him.

As I came back to the room Madison glared at me. "Oh get over it. You're not changing my mind. I'm wearing it." I grapped my keys, slipped my plain black trainers on and left the house locking it behind the three of us.

We walked to the coffee shop as it was literally a 5 minute walk from my house. I hadn't been outside for ages and to be honest I missed it.

"Feel good?" Madison interrupted me from my thoughts once again. By now, I had a feeling she was doing it on purpose.

"I would be lying to say no." I chuckled lightly as she gave me a sarcastic proud look. These girls really did know what to do and the right time to do it.

We eventually made it to the coffee shop where luckily it was only quiet. When I used to come here every morning before work, it was packed but today it wasn't and I weren't going to complain about it.

"You know what, I'll order, you two go and find a table." Harper smiled at us. It was rare she was the one to order because she hates speaking to strangers but she did occasionally order just so we couldn't tell her she never did.

"Ok. Come on Kenz!" Madison went to walk away to a table with a grip on my wrist.

"Actually you find a table, I'm gonna go and head to the bathroom real quick." I assured her before walking in the opposite direction.

"Hey! You never go to the bathroom alone? What's changed now?" Madison stopped me. She was right, I've never liked going to the bathroom alone. However when it's a familiar place to me and it's this quiet, it honestly didn't bother me in the slightest.

"I still don't usually but it's really quiet in here and I'm used to it all anyway so I know I'll be fine." I sent them an honest smile. I wasn't lying to them. I didn't have a reason to, but I knew I sounded suspicious anyway.

"I can come with you still if you want?" Madison sent me a worried look causing me to smile reassuringly at her.

"It's fine honestly. You go and find a table, we all know any minute now that it could just randomly get packed with people." I spoke the truth to her. I really was telling them the truth but it's understandable on why they might be suspicious as I haven't left my house for a whole week.

"Ok but don't take too long! We'll probably be sat farther to the back, ok?" Madison nodded at me. I nodded back at her and headed towards the bathrooms.

*Madisons pov*

I sat worried at our usual table that was luckily free. Ever since the fire I've been worried for Mackenzie. Her and Noah were close, like really close but me and Harper never really clicked onto them like we have with each other's boyfriends.

"Deep in thought?" Harper sat opposite me placing the three drinks in the centre of the table.

"Yeah, still worried about Kenzie." I smiled slightly at her before thanking her for my drink and slowly taking a sip.

"Oh, she'll be fine! It'll pass!" Harper waved her hand, blowing off the topic. I looked at her with a confused look. How could she possibly be this calm when she knew how much Noah meant to Mackenzie?

"Yeah and how long will that take Harp!?" I started getting annoyed. I never got along with Harper when it came to serious situations, she never took them seriously like she should.

"Probably not as long as you thing Mads!" She replied in the same tone. I wasn't in the mood to argue with her but I couldn't stop myself.

"Not as long as I think!? Harper, her boyfriend of three years died! What do you mean not as long as I think!?" She knew I was getting annoyed but she didn't care.

"You know what I mean Madison! She's already calming down! She's had her time of mourning!" I looked at Harper stunned, and not in a good way.

"Had her tim-" I cut myself off when I saw Mackenzie making her way over to the table. "We'll finish this conversation later." I whispered, still clearly annoyed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Word count: 1206