Chapter 41~ first instinct

After a long while of waiting on a very unstable bench, it was time to explore the grounds on our own. "Are you ready?" Wilbur held out a hand for me to take as everyone began to prepare.

"I really don't think so." My actions went against my words as I took Wilburs hand and stood from the crooked bench.

"Don't leave my side, okay?" I nodded, shivering as another gust of wind hit my already freezing body. "That jacket isn't helping you, is it?" Wilburs arm snaked around my waist in an attempt to warm me up.

"Not like I was hoping it would, no." I sighed. My head mindlessly fell against Wilburs side as we got closer and closer to the entrance. "I don't wanna go in there." I turned my head so that my face was hidden.

"I'm here, alright? I don't want you sat outside on your own." He kissed the top of my head, all of us stopping, staring into the entrance. I looked back in front of me, seeing nothing but a pitch black doorway.

"Who wants to go first?" Tubbo turned to look at all of us. I shook my head harshly, wanting anything but to be the first to walk through the door.

"I think we should." Wilbur whispered to me. My eyes widened as I looked up at him.

"Are you crazy!? I don-" he didn't even let me finish before he told Tubbo we'd go in first. "Will!?" He gripped tighter onto my waist, beginning to rub my back.

"Don't worry, everything will be fine, I promise." Phil handed Wilbur a torch, the object sending some type of relaxation through my body.

"Tell me when, love." I looked around, surprised that he actually used one of the nicknames in front of everyone. It didn't bother me, instead I felt my cheeks heat up once again.

"Oh, she's 'love' now is she?" Tommy teased to which I tried to hold back a smile.

"She has been for a while now, Tommy." I looked up at Wilbur, nodding as I prepared myself to go in.

"Let's do this." I took a deep breathe as we walked into the building, our only source of light being the torch in Wilburs hand. The others followed after us.

A loud thud suddenly echoed through the hallways. "Will!" I didn't even take notice that my first instinct was calling out Wilburs name, but I had also turned directly into his side, in a way of feeling protected.

"That's your first instinct? To call Wills name?" Ranboo sounded satisfied as he teased me, but I didn't care at the moment.

"Never mind that, what the fuck was that noise?" I looked back at the others, Tubbo sending me an apologetic smile before speaking.

"I just dropped my torch, that's all." I sighed in relief and turned back to look in front of me.

"Did you mean to do that?" Wilbur laughed, signalling towards my reaction to the sudden noise.

"No, it just kind of, slipped out." I shrugged, leaning closer into his side. He grinned down at me before deciding to walk into a science class room. "Woah, isn't this place said to have a spirit?"

I stopped at the doorway, parting from Wilburs grip as he carried on into the room. Stopping in his tracks when he realised I wasn't beside him.

I let everyone else walk past me, staying in the hallway whilst they used their own equipment to check for spirits. "I'm gonna stay out here." I informed Will, he hesitantly nodded as I took a few steps back, leaning against the opposite wall.

Another harsh howl of wind sounded in my ears, one very similar to earlier. I then realised, we were in the same hallway that it had happened in. My eyes widened looking worriedly at each end of the hallway, searching for any sign of danger, but I saw nothing.

I looked into the room, hearing audible gasps from the group as Wilbur continued to ask questions whilst they used the SBox to try and communicate with spirits.

I didn't know whether I believed in this sort of thing or not, but it worried me either way. I think not having an exact opinion on it, made it slightly more intense.

I heard clear words from their SBox causing my eyes to widen as I began to hear more and more noises in the hallway. I didn't know if it was my imagination or not, but it was worrying me more and more by the second.

I huffed slightly before rushing into the classroom so that I wasn't alone anymore or in the hallway. I quickly stood in between Wilbur and Phil, trying to act calm.

Tommy then asked a question to the spirit as Wilbur looked down at me, confused at my sudden attendance. I shook my head to tell him I'm fine, neither of us wanting to disturb Tommys question.

He looked at me with the familiar look that he knew I was lying. I leaned into him, shutting my eyes tightly, hoping to gain a sense of comfort. I felt him rest an arm on my upper back as we stayed like that for a while before they finished with their investigation.

"That was way too accurate!" Phil laughed as they joined him.

"You think there really is a spirit in here?" Ranboos voice sounded curious at the possibility of us being in the presence of an ex-teachers spirit.

"It seems like it." I could practically here the fascination in Wilburs voice. He seemed to enjoy experiences like these.

"We should head into one of the drama classrooms next. I swear that Jonathon guy said there could be an ex-students spirit roaming in there." Tommy suggested.

"Lead the way!" Tubbo bowed playfully as Wilbur tapped my back to get my attention before leaving. Everyone waited for Wilbur to leave first so no one had left yet.

"What made you change your mind?" Wilbur looked down at me. I looked out into the hallway and then back at Wilbur.

"I think I was hearing things. I just, didn't feel like waiting alone." I looked to everyone else, who's eyes widened at my words. "What?" I looked between the group.

"You heard something?" Tommy sounded shocked as I just corrected myself.

"I think it was just my imagination, I wouldn't be certain about it if I was you." Wilbur once again wrapped an arm around my waist, it now just seemed like a natural instinct.

"We'll find that out." He smiled at everyone, leading us out of the door before anyone else.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
word count: 1114