Chapter 18~ no answer

TW: mentions of death, may be triggering to      some readers!

I knocked on his apartment door. No answer, so I knocked again. Still, no answer. Was he not in? I was just texting him, where is he? I knocked louder, in hopes he would answer this time. No answer.

I checked the plant pot by his door to see if his spare key was there. It was. I picked it up and unlocked the door. As I opened the door I was met by nothing but silence.

All the lights to his house were on but he was nowhere to be seen. Usually, he's sat watching one of Tommys vlogs but this time, he wasn't.

I called his name a few times in hopes I would get some sort of sign to where he was but even then, I didn't get an answer. I rang his phone, thinking he might have went to the shops.

However, when I did I heard not only my ring tone, but his too. It was coming from the bathroom. I walked towards the door, putting my ear to the door to check if the phone was definitely in there. It was.

I knocked gently on the door but got no reply. I looked around for any clue on what was going on but there wasn't one. I took a breathe and opened the door, seeing Wilbur, on the floor, lifeless.

I screamed at the sight and began to cry, dropping to my knees. Why did this have to happen to me, again? It was then I heard the door creak behind me.

"You shouldn't have cut me out of your life, Mackenzie Hudson." There stood Harper, smirking down at me.

That's when I woke up. I was out of breathe and in tears. I looked around the room I was now in, to see it was Wilburs bedroom. To my relief, Wilbur was asleep on the other side of the bed.

He slept on his back with one hand under the pillow and the other rested over his stomach. I lay back down and calmed myself down, now realising, it was just a nightmare.

Although, even though I knew that, I couldn't sleep. I looked at the peaceful, sleeping Wilbur and debated my thoughts. I took a nervous deep breathe and shook him a little, whispering his name.

It turns out, Wilburs a light sleeper so he woke up almost immediately. "Mackenzie, what's wrong?" I realised I had a few tears still falling down my face.

"Nightmare." I sat up and played with my hands, nervously.

"Oh. Lie back down." He instructed. I gave him a confused look but obeyed. "Come here." He whispered, resting his arm out on the bed. I looked at him with a shy smile but moved closer to him.

He let me rest my head on his chest as he wrapped his arm around my waist and placed his chin on top of my head. "Try get some sleep for me please." He gave me a small, friendly kiss on top of my head and went back to sleep himself.

I now felt safe, like I was under a protection spell or something. My body relaxed as I fell into a peaceful, nightmare free sleep.

I woke up the next morning, still with the feeling of a firm grip around my waist. "Morning." I yawned and heard Wilbur chuckle and rub my back slightly.

"Good morning Kenzie." He replied. He was on his phone, scrolling through TikTok. I knew cause I could hear all of the familiar sounds.

We sat comfortably for about 5 minutes when I heard a sound I very much dreaded hearing from his phone. The lyrics, 'wrapped up so consumed by all this hurt' by Jess Glynn.

My head shot up as Wilbur looked at me confused. "Oh, good." I assumed he hadn't seen the video I thought he had. That was until he spoke again.

"You really can dance, huh?" he spoke as the music continued. I got up off the bed with an annoyed groan as he just laughed, watching me.

"Fuck you Wilbur." I went to leave the room before he stopped me.

"You do realise this video has 500k views, right Kenz?" My eyes widened and I turned around, shocked. I had honestly forgot I had even posted the video so I hadn't checked it.

"Urmm, no I didn't." I sat down by him on the bed as he shown me the progress of the video. I was shocked to say the least. Tommys first vlog with me in hadn't even been released yet so how would the views be like this?

That's when I noticed that all the comments were extremely similar:

User34398001: Why hasn't Noah posted?
User67209175: I miss you and Noah :(
User02638864: Are you and Noah still together?
User93641708: Noah used to post everyday!?
User14442806: You and Noah are so cute :)

"Was he popular?" Wilbur asked. I looked at him, snapping out of the trance I was in.

"Popular enough for everyone to know me as 'Noah's girlfriend' yeah." I forced a smile to my face. "I guess I'll need to post something about the loss." I scrolled through the comments constantly seeing the word 'Noah'.

"I know when I first met you, you weren't ready to move on or anything but, what about now?" Wilbur asked, I slouched down in the bed, once again resting my head on his chest.

I let out a sad sigh before responding. "I'll never forget Noah but I think, now, I'd be able to move on, it would just have to be with someone I trust." I explained as Wilbur began to play with my hair. He hummed understandingly.

"Wilbur?" I spoke after another few seconds.

"What's up?" He asked.

"Can I tell you what my nightmare was about last night?" I questioned.

"Yeah of course." He moved closer to the centre of the bed, pulling me with him so that we were more comfortable and not like we were about to fall off. "I'm listening."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
word count: 1015