Chapter 54~ memory

*Mackenzies pov*

"Give me the phone." I held out my hand to Wilbur and he obeyed, placing the phone in my hand without bothering to say another word."Georgia?" I held the phone to her ear.

"Mackenzie. Who was that?" I looked to Wilbur. This is not what I needed right now.

"Not important. What's up?" I questioned. I hadn't spoken to Noah's family since the funeral.

"Could you possibly come to the house? We need you for something." She requested. I took my eyes off of Wilbur and faced the window.

"Not really possible right now, Georgia." I stated. When would I be set free from this?

"Please, Mackenzie, it's important." She pleaded. I let out and impatient sigh. Noah's sister was never my favourite person.

"I'm currently abroad, Georgia." I told her, hearing her complain to her mother quietly, clearly not thinking I could hear her.

"Can you not come home early? It's really important." I contained the frustration building up inside me before I spoke again.

"No, I can't. I leave in a couple days, anyway." I knew what I was about to get myself into but what other choice did I have?

"Could you come over after you land, then?" I looked back at Wilbur again, he was still watching me with curiosity.

"I would but I'd have someone with me and I don't think you'd be too happy about it." I warned her, hoping she wouldn't ask.

"No, it's fine. Who is it?" I gave Wilbur a questioning look. I mouthed the question to him, about whether or not we should tell her. He nodded with a shrug to tell me he didn't mind.

"It's my, urmm- my new boyfriend." I told her and looked Wilbur dead in the eye.

"Your what?" Her voice turned to anger as she spoke. "I don't want him anywhere near this house. You can't just get with another guy, Mackenzie" She spat causing my blood to boil.

"Why? Because he's not Noah? It's been months, Georgia, and don't go telling me I can't be with someone else! I miss Noah, of course I do, but I can't cling to his memory for the rest of my life." I argued.

"So instead you're going to use another guy to get over him? Give it a rest, Mackenzie. Noah deserved better than you. I hope you know that, because I could never get it through to him." She argued back.

One single memory I had with Noah proved her wrong.

*flashback*

The fire alarm went off and my head shot to look at Noah who looked at the door with confusion. "Check outside the window." He got up, walking towards the door.

I stood up, opening the window and looking out of it. I couldn't see anything. "I can't se-" I was cut off when I turned around to see Noah slamming the door shut and turning to face me.

"You need to get out of here." Panic spread across his face as I looked at him with fear.

"What? No, I-" I tried to fight against it but he shook his head, not taking no for an answer.

"Yes. There's a fire down the stairs, Kenzie, and I'm not going to let anything happen to you." He spoke with a serious tone and I shook my head, in denial that any of this was happening.

"And what about you? I'm not going to leave you here, Noah!" I felt the tears building up in my eyes, and for a second his face softened but he immediately came back to reality.

"We haven't got time. You're more important." I felt the tears escape as he immediately pulled me into the tightest hug.

"I can't lose you, Noah. You can't leave me." I began to cry, but he didn't listen, he was focused on getting me out.

"I'll do my best to save us both, but listen to me, Mackenzie. If I don't make it out of here, you-" I cut him off, not wanting to hear any more of what he had to say.

"Don't say that. You will make it out." I cried, but he shushed me quickly.

"Just listen. If I don't happen to make it out of here, I don't want you to mourn over me for months. Move on. Find someone who loves you as much as I do, takes care of you and always put you first. Don't settle for anything lower than that, you hear me?" He had both his hands rested on my shoulders.

I nodded weakly. "Now let's get you out of here." He rushed.

*end of flashback*

"You have no right to say that, Georgia. I'm not using anyone, and for your information, Noah never wanted me to mourn him for ages." I stated through gritted teeth.

"Of course. How would you know that?" She hissed. That's when I truly lost my temper.

"How do I know? Because who the fuck was the last one he spoke to, Georgia? Me! And he told me that with his own words. Don't act like you knew him so much better than me! You were late to his funeral, that shows exactly how much respect you had for him. Don't ever try to contact me again, Georgia!" I snapped.

*Wilburs pov*

I quickly stood up as Mackenzie burst into tears, catching the phone she had lost grip of before it hit the ground, making sure that she didn't hit the floor too hard as she dropped to her knees.

She wasn't crying because she was upset, she was crying because she was angry. I held the phone to my ear as I noticed the call wasn't cut.

"Hello?" A different voice spoke through the phone. This time it was a males voice.

"Hello." I replied. "This is Mackenzies boyfriend." I pulled Mackenzie into me, holding her as she continued to cry.

"I'm Noah's father. I apologise for my daughter." He spoke politely. I rubbed up and down Mackenzies arm, in an effort to calm her down.

"Thank you, and I'm sorry for your loss." I mirrored his politeness.

"Would you mind asking Mackenzie to call us whenever she's up to it? I'll send my number through. We do really need to see her, but I understand if she wouldn't like to. I'll make sure my daughter isn't with us." He asked.

"That's fine. I'll let her know, thank you." I replied.

"You have a great girl, take care of her. I wish you both the best." A smile rose to my face at his words.

"Thank you, sir. I wish the best for your recovery." I replied. He said good bye and cut off the call. "Hey, hey, she's being dealt with, my love." I wrapped my other arm around her as I placed the phone on the ground.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
word count: 1144