Chapter 49~ never better

"No, because it's unfair!" I chuckled lightly as Wilbur continued to look at me with a bewildered look.

"How is it unfair!?" The seriousness of his tone proved to me that this was no joke to him.

"We've talked about this, Will. You buy me too much. Put the book down." I tried to take the notebook he was holding from him but he pulled it back.

"Yes, we have talked about this, Kenz. I like buying things for you." I threw my head back in mild frustration.

"Seriously, put down the book." I tried to take it from him again. I failed. Again.

"How long is this gonna take? We have more to see." Tommy groaned in frustration as the others watched us argue to each other about whether or not Wilbur should buy me a notebook.

"Not any longer, come on, let's get out of here." I walked away from Wilbur as we all made our way out the first gift shop.

"Wait, Kenzie!" I heard Wilbur speak as I turned to look at him. "A you serious about how guilty you feel?" He questioned as I sighed.

"Yes, Will, I am." I nodded to which he copied, putting down the book and coming to my side, walking out the building with me. "Thank you." I looked up at him.

"Thank me for not buying you something?" He looked down at me with a gentle laugh as I looked to the ground.

"Yes, actually." I looked back up at him with a smile to which he shook his head, planting a kiss on my cheek.

"Where are we actually going?" Tubbo turned around, looking at the two of us who were walking a couple feet behind everyone else.

"Urmm, I don't know." I shrugged as he turned to Phil instead.

"Phil, where are we going?" He repeated as Phil just laughed, giving him the same answer I did. Tubbo dropped onto a nearby bench as we all waited for him with confused expressions.

"Tubbo, what are you doing?" Ranboo chuckled, readjusting his mask whilst we were stood still.

"Waiting for a destination." Tubbo replied. We all let out quiet laughs before I looked between everyone, hoping at least someone would have an answer.

"How about we go and get food? We've been here for a while and haven't actually had any food." I suggested as everyone agreed. "Okay, which one do you wanna go to?" I pointed in two directions.

"What's the difference?" Tommy squinted his eyes at me.

"The difference, Tommy, is the fact that one's a chip shop and the others a restaurant." I spoke matter-of-factly. He let out a small 'oh' before Wilbur gave me an answer.

"Let's go to the restaurant. The foods probably nicer and we can sit down." Everybody decided Wilbur was right and then we made our way to the small restaurant near the insect house.

We waited at the booth, everybody holding in laughs from Tommys joke due to how quiet the building was. "Hello, how can I help?" A woman came up to us, tapping her screen a few times before looking up at me.

Shit. I had to hope she didn't recognise me. "Urmm, do you have a table for six, please?" I forced a smile to my face as she looked at me curiously.

"Let me check." She looked down at her screen and I took the chance to turn to Wilbur.

"Will." I spoke with a nervous tone as he turned to me immediately.

"Yeah? Are you alright?" He placed a hand on my lower back. I glanced at the woman who was now speaking to one of her colleagues. Gives me more time.

"No. That's Harpers older sister." I looked him in the eye. He glanced to the woman and back down at me.

"Her sister lives in Amsterdam?" He gave me a confused look.

"Apparently so. I know her grandparents live here, so she must be over here with them." I sighed as he began to gently rub circles on my back.

"You're Madison, right?" She caught my attention again. I had met her once at a birthday party. I only knew two things about her: her name is Hope and she's two years older than Harper.

"No, I'm not Madison." I laughed slightly, shaking my head.

"Or is it Mackenzie?" My breathe caught in my throat and I nodded in reply as she picked up a few menus. "Wow, you've changed so much in two years." She added.

"Yeah, I guess so." I chuckled nervously, praying she didn't bring up Harper.

"You have all the boys, it seems. Your relationship with that Noah guy didn't work?" She glanced at everyone around me. She could not possibly think that. And there is no way she didn't know about the fire?

"A lot happened with Noah." I stated simply as she looked at me confused. "This is my new boyfriend, Wilbur." I introduced to cut through the awkwardness.

"It's nice to meet you." She smiled at Wilbur, which he returned, before she turned back to the screen. She smiling up at us again, picking up a few menus from the booth.

"A table for six right this way." She gestures for us to follow. As soon as we sat down and she had left, I let out a breathe I didn't know I was holding in.

"You okay?" Wilbur pulled a strand of hair away from my face so he could see my features.

"How the fuck don't she know about everything?" I looked at him, the situation clearly bothering me.

"I don't know, darling. Do you want to go up to the chippy instead?" He rested an arm over the back of my chair.

"No, it's fine." I leaned back, taking the hand he had rested on my shoulder and relaxed into his side.

"Is everything alright?" Ranboo gave me a concerned look from opposite me. I forced a smile to my face and nodded.

"Yeah, never better." I answered to which he hesitated before smiling back.

"Good." He nodded, turning back to talk to Phil.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom. I'll be right back." I kissed Wilbur on the cheek before standing up and making my way to the bathroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
word count: 1050