Ten

Sage Williams

Sage Williams

PAST

"Happy birthday." I smiled at him as my wet hair stuck to my nine-year-old face. My favorite stuffed animal sat on my lap while I sat on the bed in front of his mother, who was currently brushing out all of the knots from my hair.

"It's not for a few more hours." He shrugged as he continued to watch his mom brush my hair.

I winced as she hit a sensitive spot. "Watch it, you're hurting her!" He exclaimed but I shook my head, calming him down.  "I'm okay. I promise." His mom was behind me trying to hide her laughter as her son nearly ripped off her head for brushing a bad part of my hair.

"Almost done." She spoke behind me.

"What do you want for breakfast tomorrow? It's your birthday, you can have anything." They were being extra nice to me.

My parents dropped me off here about an hour ago. My mom wouldn't tell me what was wrong and neither would my dad but they took Slater to Reese's and I got taken to Sloane's. That's okay though, I would rather be with Sloane and Blake over Leighton and Baker.

Leighton still wets the bed and we are entering the third grade.

"Crossaints and coffee," I whispered, a smile pulling on my face as she slid out from behind me, brush in hand. I pushed my glasses up on my nose once again. "God kid, we need to duct tape those glasses to your face. Or we need to get you contacts." Sloane leaned down kissing my forehead.

"I like her the way she is," Blaise spoke up while I cleared my throat. "When are mom and dad picking me up tomorrow?" I asked. She paused, pursing her lip before answering.

"I'll see if I can ask them tonight and I'll tell you first thing tomorrow morning. Okay?" I nodded. She froze, her gaze on me as he motioned for Blaise to get off of my bed. And this truly was like my room here. It had spare clothes for me, I had a bathroom with my toothbrush and hairbrush. I had everything here.

Sloane claimed that she has always wanted a daughter and now that she has me, she will always feel like she is full in the heart. "Blaise, come on buddy. Let's allow the birthday princess to sleep." She suggested as I nodded.