Sixty-Two

Sage Williams*reader's discretion is advised

Sage Williams
*reader's discretion is advised

For the first time in two years, my treehouse was occupied by two teenagers that couldn't keep their hands or eyes to themselves but they sure as hell were trying their best not to.

I missed this. If my mind could take pictures I would've taken a picture of this moment. The two of us on either end of the couch. My legs lying right next to his. My feet were against his lower stomach, every time he laughed it tickled.

I couldn't fight the smile that I had been wearing. He had been throwing popcorn in the air, trying to catch it with his mouth. I tried to copy him but none of it ever made it into my mouth, which left crumbs of the snack everywhere around us.

"You don't want me to clean up the popcorn?" I teased.

He shook his head. "I grew out of my neat freak stage believe it or not." He talked back to me in a know-it-all fashion. He smiled smugly at me, as if he knew he had me right where he wanted me.

"I'd beg to differ," I argued. His eyebrows raised as he sat up, his fingers going to the heels of my feet and starting to tickle me. I squirmed, laughing loudly. "Stop– stop– stop!"

He moved quickly so his hands went under my shirt, fingers dusting against the skin on my stomach. "Blaise! I'm going to–"

"Oh, please do tell me what you're going to do." He cut me off, his words came out bunched and quick as he made fun of me before he threw his head back and laughed.

If I was a stupid girl, I would've lived in the moment. But I was a very stupid girl– so instead of living in the moment, it was like my mind took a picture of him and every single movement he was making while on top of me. His smile wide– his obnoxious laugh slipping through his pink lips. The freckle right above his lip was not visible. That's how far back his head went as he laughed at me.

My heart that was cracked was molding itself back together as if being near him was all the healing I needed.

I gazed at him one last moment, taking another picture with my eyes before snapping back to reality. My hands went to his head, pulling his face down so he looked into my eyes. "Hey there," I whispered.