Twenty-Two

Sage WilliamsPast

Sage Williams
Past

One day you're five looking through milkweed trying to find the best-looking caterpillar. You are sifting through it– trying to avoid the caterpillars that are considered poisonous because they sting you.

You've been warned by books, videos, and even Google to not touch the yellow caterpillar because it's going to sting you. But sometimes, you can't resist what is pulling you. It's like science.

A positive ion will always attract a negative one.

So one day, you grab that dangerous caterpillar. You grab the dangerous caterpillar and you smile at it as it crawls all over you– you wait for it to sting you. You sit at the edge of your seat– waiting for it. Because you know it's coming.

But you just don't know how bad it's going to hurt.

Or how long the sting will last.

"It's literally nine at night there. He's probably already in bed there." My eyes moved from the phone screen I was staring at. I was laying upside down on my bed, my phone right underneath my head.

Slater stood in the doorway, his arms plastered on both sides of the doorframe. I don't respond so he takes it as a motive to speak again. "You ready for junior year?"

I twist my body, slowly pulling myself up on my bed. The douchebag twin brother of mine looked opposite me. Annoyingly enough, he was definitely the much more attractive sibling, and he knew it. I knew it too, and if I didn't– people made sure I knew.

He stood at my dad's height. He had dark hair and bright blue eyes, and he had my dad's dimples that were indented so deeply in his cheeks, that you could see them when he wasn't smiling. All of those sports, all of those protein shakes, everything– had gone to his head.

Of course, he wasn't a complete douchebag.

He was a semi-douche.

Like, he would still make his bed in the morning, kiss mom goodbye, and unload the dishwasher. However, he made sure he went to every party. He made sure he was the center of attention. He made sure that there was enough ego to fill up a room so that nobody else with a personality could enter.