Epilouge

Sage Beck-Day

Two years after my sister's wedding, my grandpa Buddy passed away.

Don't worry, it's not a sad ending though. It's actually a quite funny one if we're being honest. If grandpa Buddy hadn't passed away I wouldn't have to tell this story. Blaise and I had just landed for Christmas in Pennsylvania when I received the phone call from mom that he had passed away in his sleep peacefully.

I'm sad.

But in grandpa's fashion, he left us all a huge surprise that was not disclosed until after he died.

"This is so wrong. Oh, this feels so wrong." Mom cried as she passed us all gifts that were issued to us from his will on Christmas morning. They were wrapped in the most hideous wrapping paper too.

That's right.

Buddy Webber decided that when he died, all of the stuff from the Will would come to us on Christmas whether it was close to Christmas or not whenever he passed away. Even worse, all of the stuff had come pre-wrapped with name tags and everything.

Christmas morning– a house full of grandkids sat around waiting to open presents from their dead grandpa. It's so fucking sick, but I know Grandpa would be up there laughing his ass off at everyone.

It was totally the Buddy way to do things. As my mom slowly passed out gifts, everyone waited patiently, we went in random drawing order to see who opened things first. Most of the time that we opened we either laughed or cried.

For example, we laughed when my dad opened a mirror from grandpa. Or whenever Penn was given a drug addict anonymous pamphlet. Or when Reese was given a picture of Matti.

We cried when we saw things like my mom receiving a replica of the teddy bears she had when she was a little girl. Or when Stella received grandpa's spoon he used when he was a baby. Ellie received a participation trophy, and we both laughed and cried. Slater received grandpa's first football from his first year of coaching.

Then it came down to me opening mine. I didn't know what it was or how to react to it. But as soon as everyone saw what was in my hands, they dived for it. When I mean dived, they dived– Blaise covered me as everyone surrounded me.

"What! What is it!" I yelled.

"That fucker gave her his playbook!" I furrowed my brows staring at it.

"His playbook? This is his playbook!" I asked.

"Oh my god, she doesn't even know that it's his playbook!" Dad yelled.

I flipped through the pages, smiling down at it. It was really old brown leather that was worn and ripped. The edges of every page were tattered. "Did he use all of the plays in this book?" I asked.

"Yes. He carried that thing around like it was his bible. Trust me when I say you just received the best present out of all of us, Sage." Slater called out. Bags under his eyes as I sighed loudly.

"I guess we can all share it," I announce. Reese clapped his hands. "Great, yes! He would never let me see that thing!"

"I wonder why!" Dad yelled at Reese. I leaned back in Blaise as he massaged my shoulders. As everyone stood up to collect wrapping paper. Dad and Griffin walked around with the garbage bag, collecting all of the scraps.

As Dad walked toward me, he collected the paper surrounding me. That's when I noticed a page had fallen out from it. Dad noticed it too. He picked it up, observing and reading the words on it. His brows furrowed.

"Boys come look at this– tell me if you think these names are familiar– I don't think they are," Dad spoke. I stood up, staring at it. As he held it up to everyone, they all shook their heads in confusion.

"I've never heard of any of these. They are dated back in the 1980s– he had to have been drunk or sad over Helen when he wrote these because they make no fucking sense." Reese muttered as he pulled his glasses further down his nose to read the page.

"Let me see, I didn't even get to see it!" I argued as I stepped closer reading the pages.

1.) EVEN THE PLAYING FIELD

2.) IN BETWEEN THE LINES

3.) SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE

4.) RIGHT BEFORE THE END

5.) KING OF THE COURT

6.) RIGHT FROM THE START

"Nope, I've never heard of them. I hope there weren't any winning plays, how annoying would that have been."

Besties,

Besties,

the end.

thank you for everything. I love u all. My DMS are always open!!!

 My DMS are always open!!!