Forty

Blaise Beck-DayPast

Blaise Beck-Day
Past

I couldn't stop tossing and turning in this lonely bed in this lonely room at this lonely boarding school in this lonely country.

I was miserable at this place. I was not at home. The best way to describe this whole ordeal was the overwhelming feeling of going on vacation and waiting for that moment when you finally hit your bed at home.

Except it never comes.

I'm left to toss and turn in this lonely bed that is not my bed at home.

I'm left to toss and turn and no matter how many times I do so, it's not going to change the fact that I'm lonely and not leaving this place.

It's been twenty-four hours.

I am lonely and this is a lot harder than I thought it would be. I thought that leaving was going to wreck me, but no– it ruined me. It ruined me in ways that I didn't think were possible. For the last twenty-four hours, I had met with the boarding school administration and was placed into a room here. Luckily, I didn't need my parent's signatures.

However, my parents knew where I was. So they did call the school.

I haven't reached for the phone to call them. My hand will hover over the phone, just staring at the electronic device before it drops down, right back where it started. I sat here for the last twenty-four hours trying everything in my power to not imagine what my parent's reactions were like to seeing me away from them.

Away from home.

It's just a really long vacation.

That's what I keep telling myself.

It's a long vacation that doesn't feel like a vacation to me. But it's a vacation for everyone else. It was a break from any of the problems that I would've caused if I had stayed. If I stayed, who knows what could've happened?

Maybe the Williams would stop talking to the Josephs.
Maybe my parents would stop talking to the Williams.
Maybe Sage would hate me.
Maybe my parents would resent Reese.