Nineteen

Blaise Beck-Day

Blaise Beck-Day

Present

"So– you left and came back– did you lose your ability to see the nuts that were all over that pie?"

Rolling my eyes at my dad's remark, I reached for my glass of water sipping at it as Naomi and Rory left the table abruptly. I assumed they were chasing after Sage who had bolted after grabbing my plate and slamming it on her own.

"My bad."

The only two words I could utter as I continued to drink the water in front of me. Maybe if I continued to drink this water, I would drown myself out of the confusion I was fighting off. Who the hell was this girl?

I pushed my chair back before exiting the dining room where everyone sat. I would be lying if I said I was avoiding a few people at this dinner table but nothing says welcome home like a big feast. I walked into the living room, one that hadn't changed at all since I was little.

So many pictures, trophies– anything you could think of was all over this house. Everyone was so happy. Families looked better together than apart. A friendship that had lasted over decades– there was nothing that I could do but run away rather than carry the guilt on my back.

"You little shit you knew there were nuts in there. I know you did," I blinked slowly staring up at my mom who had shrunk a good five inches since Christmas. As she walked toward me, I couldn't hide my smile as her obnoxiously loud heels slapped against the hardwood floor.

I shrugged.

I did.

"You and your dad are so alike it's disgusting." Yeah.

"You knew that had nuts! What were you thinking!" I thought that Sage doesn't give a shit about me anymore and she did a great job at lying about it. Nothing says I still care about you like a death scare.

She sat down next to me, crossing one leg over the other. She laid her head on my shoulder. "It's been hard–" She swallowed. "Without you– you know?"