Sixty-Three

Sage Williams

Sage Williams

I never really noticed how much I had been alone growing up until I had great news to tell– and I had no one to talk to. It's a humbling feeling, to say the least.

You know what else is humbling?

The feeling of falling. The feeling of just dangling on the edge of something, and then just letting go. Because in the end– what mattered? The fear of dangling? Or the fear of falling?

Since he came back, I had been dangling.

But now, I was with certainty falling. Not the beautiful falling. It was messy and it was chaos, but it was us. He was not a breath of fresh air– he took away fresh air from me. No fresh air for the two of us, but we could still thrive off of air that had been polluted with tears and steam from the anger and hurt that radiated off of my body.

I was falling in love again. He was putting my heart back together piece by piece, he was handing me the glue and allowing me to stick in on the pieces he broke– he was letting me repair myself slowly.

"Hey, it's Rory, you've reached my voicemail. Leave me a message and maybe I'll get back to you if you mean enough to me."

"Hey Ror, it's me. I just wanted to call and see how you were and how everything is going back home for you. The room is lonely without you. I still have the wallpaper up– it's been a week since I've heard from you so I'm getting worried. Miss you and love you. I have so much to catch you up on. Like–" There was a beep that cut me off as I left Rory a message.

The girl who never stopped talking had finally stopped talking so it had seemed. It worried me deeply considering the fact that she left when it was out of her hands. She wanted to be here, I know she did.

I laid flat on my back, tossing my phone to the side.

I took her for granted.

The last two years it was just me. If anyone tried to be my friend (which was rare because nobody fucking liked me), I pushed them away. Rory didn't let me push her away, she stayed there. I didn't appreciate our weird friendship, but now I wish I had.