Fifty-Six

Sage Williams

Sage Williams

I sprinted up my front steps, slamming open my front door. My hair was a mess from Blaise and I's hot engagement. Mom's eyes widened as she took in my appearance before dropping the clothing basket filled with white towels.

Mom's hand came up to her mouth while a laugh broke out throughout the room.

"I remember when a guy first smeared my mascara like that." My head craned around the foyer to see my older sister leaning against the door frame. The huge engagement ring on her finger was shining like no tomorrow.

"Estella James." Mom's voice warned hearing the sexual innuendo. I blushed profusely as Stella shot me a wink before awkwardly whistling out of the room.

Mom cleared her throat, eyeing me up and down. "What happened to you?" She asked.

I was at a loss for words. Her arms were folded across her chest. The car keys dangling from my fingers. The same fingers that were touching him less than twenty minutes ago. The same fingers that allowed themselves to knot together in his hair while he had me pressed up against a wall, his lips enchanting my own.

"Um, well–" I got cut off by my dad walking into the room, he was whistling loudly, just like Stella but the whistling slowed and came to a quick halt as he took in my appearance.

"Sage?" Mom called my name.

I word vomited. "I took dad's advice!"

Dad's eyebrows went up in alarm. Mom's face contorted in confusion and then grief. "What? Why would you ever take his advice over mine– Mattison, what did you tell her to do? She looks like she spent an hour in a sauna."

"Babe, I'm not stupid enough to know it wasn't a fucking sauna. I'm going to kill that kid." He muttered the last few words, shaking his head.

My cheeks were bright red. "I took dad's advice and I went to a hot pilates class." I corrected myself. Dad's eyes narrowed in on me almost as if he were warning me with his dark blue eyes. Thank god I didn't live at home anymore because he would've grounded me so quickly.