Thirty

Sage Wiliams Past

Sage Wiliams
Past.

As crazy as it was to say, it all went downhill after our date.

"Sage Williams please come to the front office." My head snapped up from where my fingers gripped the ever-living shit out of the Ticonderoga number two pencil. I felt my heartbeat start to race. I was in the middle of taking my pre-SAT at school.

It was summer.

We still had two weeks until junior year started, why the hell was I being called down to the front office?

My eyes met my teacher as he nodded, silently urging me to go so I could stop holding up the rest of my peers from finishing their exams. I didn't even get to finish mine. What the hell was going on?

I stepped out into the hallway after collecting my bag, trying to be as quiet and nondistracting as possible. My teacher followed me out, "You can retake it when we start up school. You still have a while before you even need to take them. I doubt you even need the practice though." He said.

I nodded.

"Do you know why I'm getting called to the office? I didn't even know that my aunt was working today. I thought Principals had most summer days off?" I asked. Shrugging he muttered an apology before telling me that he had to get back to monitoring the students.

I walked quickly down the hallways trying to get to the office as quickly as possible. I nearly tripped on my feet as I saw my mother pacing back and forth in her scrubs waiting for me to come to the office.

Once she saw my eyes she waved her hand, urging me to run.

Now, I never run.

Like– ever.

But the look in her eyes was one that I had never seen before which meant that I needed to sprint. Her dark brown eyes were filled with uncertainty and worry, which made my nerves on edge. I ignored the nice lady in the office as my mom held open the office door for me. "What? What is it?"

My question came out breathless and rushed as mom hit the unlock button on our car. I jumped into the passenger seat as her chest moved up and down at a fast rate. "Grandma just had a bad stroke. We have to go to the hospital. Now."