Thirty-Eight

Sage WilliamsPast

Sage Williams
Past

You know when you're asleep and then all of a sudden your body just jolts you awake in shock? I think we've all been there before. Well, I did a lot of research on that and apparently, it hasn't been proven true or false yet, but it's your body telling you that you are super close to death and it's trying to keep you alive.

None of those shocks could've ever prepared me for the shock of my life when I stood in his bedroom like I had done a million times before– except this time it was quiet. There was no laughter, no quiet giggles, no stolen kisses, no hidden smiles– nothing.

It was empty.

And so was I.

"No, no, no." I cried under my breath.

I ran over to his desk– empty.

I went to his filing cabinet– empty.

The wall that was littered with photos– was empty.

His closet– not empty?

Maybe he was playing a cruel birthday trick on me. Maybe he was just trying to scare me. Maybe when I got home, he would be on my bed, waiting to surprise me. Maybe he was on his way to go pick up the car I dreamed of having for my birthday. Maybe this was all one big misunderstanding.

I sniffled loudly, spinning on my feet and running out of the room. I rushed down the stairs taking two steps at a time, not caring if I got hurt. I was already bruised– what was the difference if I had a cut or became broken? My heart was already falling apart.

Sloane sat at the kitchen island, with her arms wrapped around her husband who was sobbing deeply in his hands. The man, who always had pressured me to be open about my feelings was sitting at the countertop with his head in his hands, crying.

Although he was always pressuring everyone else to cry– he never cried. For the sixteen years that I had been alive, I had never seen Blake cry.

I started to have a feeling creeping up the back of my neck that this just wasn't about Helen.