Forty-Five

Sage Williams

Sage Williams

It was Thursday night and I was at my parent's home.

The smell of chocolate chip cookies was in the air and they would've been burnt if it weren't for the platinum blonde woman parading around the kitchen with my mom. I had always admired their friendship.

I had longed for a friendship like theirs.

You know, a friendship that was unconditional no matter the miles you may be apart or the circumstances you both may fall under. My mom was never not talking to Sloane. Hell, when my mom was not speaking with Sloane, she was either with her or talking about her.

'"Don't burn your hands, you crazy child!" Mom slapped my hands as I reached for a freshly baked, warm cookie. I frowned. I just wanted one. They had finished baking roughly fifteen minutes ago and I was eager to eat a cookie before I had to head back to my dorm for the night.

"Do I smell cookies?" The front door opened and closed as I heard dad yell from it.

"No. I think your nostrils need to be checked. Maybe your huge ego got in the way of them!" My aunt yelled back.

Footsteps pounded throughout the house as dad entered the kitchen, immediately walking over to me, and wrapping me in his arms. I thought he was being extra affectionate until I heard him chewing a cookie that he reached for.

I rolled my eyes. "Get off." I shoved him.

He placed a kiss on my cheek as he walked to my mother, placing a kiss on her lips while my aunt made eye contact with me, fake gagging. I smirked as I reached for a cookie, successfully grabbing one and shoving it in my mouth.

"Hey, Bologna."

"Hey, Matti Mentality."

He laughed, hugging her. "Where's Blake?"

She shrugged. "Pretty sure he's with Blaise right now at dinner. I think they went to the Grille on Allen. Blake wanted to take him out all alone, without me. They needed boy time." She explained, reaching for the cranberry juice that she had been drinking.