Seventy-Three

Sage Williams

Sage Williams

"Are you walking with a limp?"

I tried to not let my eyes get wide as Chandler whispered in my ear. I was not walking with a limp– even if it felt like I did, I was not. I shook my head profusely while keeping my facial expressions cool, calm, and collected. 

"No. I think it must be your eyesight." I whispered back to her. She chuckled under her breath, reaching for her glass of champagne that sat on the dinner table. Blaise sat across from me, my brother right next to him. To the left of me was Baker, and to the right of me was Chandler, and then Stella.

"I don't know, I think my eyes are pretty clean and clear." She responded before taking a long sip. Blaise must have overheard our conversation because he covered his mouth after a laugh came out, which he tried to play out as a cough. I glared at him while he shrugged.

"Mom, I don't even think that chicken can be near me right now. I'm so sensitive to smell." My eyes and ears tuned into Stella, who's head was in Cooper's neck. Cooper's arm was thrown affectionately over her shoulder, rubbing her arm in comfort.

"Oh darling, it's your first trimester. I promise it gets better." My mom stroked the hair on the top of her head. I felt a slight kick against my shin from Blaise. My eyes wandered back to his, as he set down the glass of water he mouthed the sentence, "Thank god for condoms."

However, Baker apparently thought the message was for him because Baker leaned over, holding out his fist so Blaise could smack his against it. My eyebrows raised and Baker opened his mouth. "Right on my man, see– I knew you could always do it. One day, you'll never want to use those latex pieces–"

He was cut off by a hard kick to the shin that was so hard, it was loud enough for all of us to hear. Baker cried out, sitting his ass back down in his chair next to me, bringing his leg up to his chest and caressing it.

"What was that? Oh my god, are you okay?" My mom's voice called out as she walked over toward Baker. Blaise had his head in his hands, and I was sweating bullets. Jesus Christ, please do not tell my mother that Blaise said something about condoms.