Chapter 14 - Fair enough

S I E N N A

"And the princess and the prince lived happily ever after." I slowly whispered, shutting the book and placing it on the nightstand.

"What happened to the wicked witch?" Layla asked, curiosity coating her tone. My fingers threaded through her hair before I tied it up into a messy bun.

The window was slightly open revealing the full moon shining in the dark sky. The air was chilly and frosty like it was about to rain but there was no sign of it in the clouds.

"Well, she was locked up faraway in the evil forest. Never to be heard from again." I said with a small smile as she got under the silky white comforters and stared up at me with her baby blue eyes. Her eyelids were droopy and a yawn escaped her lips.

"Mommy, do you think there's such a thing as forever just like in the story?" Layla murmured sleepily with another tired yawn.

I pulled the comforters over her body and leaned down to kiss her forehead.

"Yes, sweetheart. There is." I mumbled, biting the inside of my cheek. If I didn't believe in forever, I wouldn't be with Blade right now wanting to spend the rest of my life with him. "Now go to sleep. Goodnight baby."

Layla murmured something incoherent under her breath and hummed a little 'goodnight' back to me.

With my heart brimming with the utmost joy and content, I turned off the light, sparing a glance over my shoulder at my little principessa sleeping soundly, I walked out of the room and gently shut the door.

Being a mother is the best thing that could ever happen to me. Layla might not be my flesh and blood, but she's my daughter by heart. I loved her and I was gonna protect her at all cost.

I was tired and sleepy. All I wanted to do right now was to go to bed and cuddle up next to cuore mio.

A groan slipped out of my lips when I remembered that he wanted to tell me something very important in his office.

Abandoning my initial thought of taking off my clothes and sleeping on our bed butt naked, Don't judge me, I love teasing him, I descended down the massive staircase that took forever to get to the bottom step and sauntered over to Blade's office.

Just as I imagined before opening the door, Blade was seated by the table with a serious expression on his face. Franco and Nico sat across from him with the same expression.

I hoped this was a joke and they would suddenly burst out into fits of laughter and mock the panicked expression on my face. It didn't fucking happen.

Fuck.

"Nico found out the identities of Layla's parents- Oh I mean adopted parents." Blade gritted. His hands tightened on the file that I guessed must entail all the information we needed on Layla's past upbringing.

Blade was upset about it. They all were.

It took more than a minute for his words to gradually sink in as I made myself comfortable on his lap.

His hands immediately shoot up to my thighs. He pushed back the silky material of my shorts and breathed down heavily on my neck, releasing his pent up anger and frustration.

"What do you mean?" I asked in a small voice as his thumb drew soothing circles across my thigh.

Blade heard me but Franco and Nico had to strain their ears to hear my words.

"Layla's real parents died after she was born." Blade said, handing me the files as he brushed my hair away from my shoulders and buried his face in the crook of my neck.