Epilogue

Life is a mysterious mix of beautiful, challenging, and painful experiences. No one can predict how it will unfold and we don't always understand why it unfolds the way it does.

The pain in my chest has become a constant thing, suffocating me and making all my body ache with grief. I can't move or breathe without feeling that pain.

The mansion is currently in a state of melancholy. Everyone can't seem to get over what happened weeks ago.

Sometimes I think my purpose on this earth is to come and suffer. I haven't felt a single ounce of peace since Layla died. I've forgotten how it feels to be happy or content. I move around the house on autopilot.

The children are aware of what happened except Becca and Bianca. It hurts so bad when she asks me when her sister is going to come back. I tell her it's soon when it's never.

Leonardo has been the unconsolable one among us. When Nora died, it felt like a part of him died along with her. He feels disconnected without his twin around. I'm at a loss of what to do to comfort him.

I felt so helpless.

I strolled over to his bedroom and knocked on the door. As usual, he doesn't answer so I twist the door knob and walked into the dark room. Turning on the light, the first thing I see is Leo sitting cross legged on his bed while hugging a picture of his sister to his chest.

He still hasn't stopped crying.

I approached his bed and sat on the spot next to him. I wrap my arms around his shoulder and pull him closer to my chest in a comforting embrace. I feel a single drop of his tears land on my lap.

"She's gone, mom. And it's all my fault." He whispered in a hoarse tone.

My lungs tightened making it hard for me to breathe. "It's not your fault, Leo. What makes you say that?"

He pulls away from me and dropped the framed picture between his intertwined legs, "You told me to take care of her and I failed. I couldn't protect her, mom. Why did she have to leave us? Do you think she's upset with me?"

Tears stung my eyes threatening to fall. I didn't know what to say. He blames himself for his sister's death and I don't think that guilt will be going away anytime soon.

They protected each other. It's always been like that between twins. They had a special bond like their lives were intertwined just like me and Armando.

"Your sister wouldn't want you to cry, Leo." I say instead of it's gonna be okay. It's never gonna be okay. My daughter is dead and now we're all suffering, grieving her death.

He doesn't say anything. He just continues to cry. I couldn't help but cry along with him.

"Go take your bath and come downstairs for breakfast, okay?" I said to him, using the pad of my thumb to wipe the tears under his eyes. I run my fingers though his hair to try and tame the messy strands.

He nods his head and place the picture of Nora on his bedside table before stripping and making his way into the bathroom.

I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and began to make his bed, placing the pillows in the right position. When I'm done, I walked out of his bedroom and sauntered over to mine.

I suddenly became nauseous. The room was consumed with darkness and the windows were shut. The only source of light that gave me a clear view of my surroundings was the light of dawn that seeped into the room through the French doors that led to the balcony.

My stomach twisted in knots when my eyes caught him sitting on the bed with his back pressed to the headboard. He had been in that same position since I woke up. I doubt he slept throughout the night.