Chapter 17 - Heartbreak and betrayal

B L A D E

Franco sat on one of the comfortable couches in the library. He picked up a random book from the coffee table and flipped open the pages. His eyebrows were deeply furrowed and his eyes had that distant look in them like he was trying to gather his thoughts.

I stood patiently by the bookcase, anticipating his words. I don't know what he was arguing with Nico about but it sure as hell made him feel like the weight of the world was on his shoulders.

His shoulders sagged as he took a deep breath and swallowed hard, his throat bobbing a little. "Rachel's back in Italy."

I didn't bother to hide my shock at his words. My eyes were wide like saucers and my jaws were locked tightly.

Rachel. The same Rachel that left him years ago with a broken heart. The same fucking Rachel that betrayed him and broke the trust he had in her.

What the fuck was she doing back here after the damage she caused?

"How do you know that?" I asked.

Franco placed the book back on the table and stood up. His footsteps were the only sound that resounded throughout the room as he walked towards the window.

It was a bit cold outside. The skies were an unholy mixture of shale-grey clouds and pasty streaks. Screeching winds rose up and swayed the trees back and forth.

Callous winter was stifling the world with its icy breath. It was about to snow.

"She told me a few weeks ago and we met up. I have no idea how she got my new number but that's not the point." Franco said and turned to stare at me. His eyes reddened like he was about to cry at any moment. It wasn't like Franco. No sign of tears were in his eyes and I guess it took every emotional strength he had not to break down in front of me.

Sometimes, it's okay to cry. It's okay to let it out every once in a while. It will lessen the burden that lodged in your heart.

"She wanted to get back together, Blade. After all this years, why was it now that she decided she wanted me? What could she want from me?" He went on. "She said she still loves me, Blade. The pendant I gave her back then was still intact. I just... don't know what to believe anymore. Was it a sign for me to forgive her and accept her back with wide arms?"

My heart clenched like a fist in my chest. I wish I had the answers to his questions. I wish I knew what to tell him that might direct the help he needed in making the right decisions when it came to this particular issue of love.

I sighed and walked towards him. What could I possibly say to him? I haven't been in his position before. One thing's for sure, Rachel can't be trusted.

"Are you sure you want to make the same mistake of trusting that... woman? She left you at the freaking altar, man. And for what, huh? She fucking eloped with some random dude." I reasoned with him. At the mention of her betrayal, he squeezed his eyelids shut and gritted his teeth. I've definitely hit a nerve.

The first time I met Rachel, I hated her. I couldn't explain the sudden feeling but it just came naturally. And since Franco was madly in love with her, I swallowed that hate and pretended to be happy for him when he could have been with someone else.