Chapter 36 - Dark turn

S I E N N A

As the days passed, my baby bump grew. I felt heavy but I could still walk properly even though I would end up being a gasping mess. The thought of setting my eyes on my babies in a couple of weeks brought tears to my eyes. We haven't even thought of baby names yet.

My lips curved into a smile as I rubbed my big belly and stared out the window, tucking a strand of strawberry blonde hair behind my ear. It was a beautiful winter morning. A white blanket of snow covered the trees and ground. The sky was a wide sheet of gravel-grey, hemmed in the horizon with a plum-purple tinge.

I shivered slightly as the cold icy air blew in through the small opening in the window and hit my bare skin. I shut the window completely and turned to stare at Blade. He was passed out on the bed after staying up all night, trying to figure out what his father was up to.

Ever since he told me about his visit to The Red Bull and the child trafficking that his father was engaged in, I've been anxious. Leandro was bound to strike at any moment. The man was fucking cunning. Our lives were all in danger and the thought of loosing anyone was terrifying.

Walking towards the sleeping man on the bed, I placed a kiss on his cheek and smoothed the crease on his sweaty forehead. He had a lot of things on his mind that I wished I could help with.

Blade didn't want me to get involved. He's scared his father might hurt me and our unborn babies. I understood him completely but that didn't deter me from wanting to help in anyway I could.

I loved this man too much to let him carry all the burdens on his own. I didn't marry him not only because of the love I have for him but because I wanted to be the pillar of strength he needed. I want to be there for him in every way possible.

A sigh escaped my lips. I watched him sleep for what seemed like hours, admiring his facial features and the slight movement he made. I giggled as he stretched his hand to the other side of the bed, his lips tilting into a frown when he didn't feel my body next to him.

He mumbled something incoherent under his breath. His chest rose and fell with every soft snores that slipped past his kissable lips. His inky black hair that had grown over the months brushed over his eyelids. The thin black strands lightly touched his cheek bones.

I resisted the urge to thread my fingers through his hair and tug at the roots until I heard his sexy groan. Quietly, I slipped out of our bedroom and made my way to Layla's bedroom.

My baby girl was seated at the window nook, leaning comfortably on the cushions as she stared at the snow fluttering down from the sky, glinting like pulverized diamond dust when they landed on the ground.

She had already taken a shower and was dressed in a blue floral dress. Her hair wasn't fully dried yet but the cold air blowing through the window did justice to it.

"Good morning, principessa," I whispered with a smile, shutting the door behind me as I approached her.

Layla stared at me for a while in confusion before recognition flashed in her eyes and she grinned, "Good morning, mommy." 

The symptoms of the Alzheimer's was starting to get worse. Her memory was slowly fading away and her body was taking it time to deteriorate. She looked weak and pale. All the colors had disappeared from her cheek. Dark circles were under her eyes. She hasn't been sleeping well.

Even through all the layers of the effects of the fucking Alzheimer's, her eyes were full of life. She still looked like the little girl I saw for the first time months ago but this time, I could tell that she was happy even though her life was slowly slipping away.