Chapter 45 - Car chase

S I E N N A

Chiara Nicole Lombardi
1987 – 2013
Here lies a beloved daughter and friend to many.

Those words were engraved on the dark granite headstone placed at the head of the grave. It's been a while since I've stepped foot in this cemetery and nothing seem to have changed, except the dead daises which are always being replaced at my visit. I wrapped my arms around my midsection and take a few steps towards her grave, my heels sinking into the grass at my abrupt stop. I could taste the metallic tang of stone in the air and precipitation.

For once since I've been visiting her grave, I haven't shed a single tear. I just gazed down at the Epitaph written on the headstone in silence. That's how I felt now; numb to all of the grief and pain. Crying and cussing at the heavens seemed pointless to me at this point. Life is too fragile and precious to waste away like that. You never know when it would be your time to leave this fucked up world.

You just have to live life to the fullest. That's something Chiara would want me to do.

I'm trying, I swear.

It's hard when you've lost three people that you love so much but of course life must go on. That's consistent. You can't just put your life on hold because of that. The world doesn't revolve around anybody. The earth rotates on its axis not once looking back at the misconceptions of life or the vain things it has to offer.

Time waits for no man. Eventually it will dawn on you and then you start to question how many years you've wasted grieving over a lost soul. I took that step of channeling my grief by valuing the present and not dwelling on what should have been. That must have been what preserved by sanity.

I released a breath I didn't know I was holding until I felt the constriction on my lungs and turned my head to stare at the grave next to hers. There was nothing left of his body but I made sure he was buried right next to his daughter. I'm sure he would be very pleased wherever he was right now.

His death was very brutal. Whoever butchered his body like he was an animal would die a slow painful death. His death must be avenged. That's something I will accomplish.

I spared the graves one last look while heaving out a dejected sigh, just as I spun on my heels to proceed out of the cemetery, I bumped into someone with my shoulders. It was a slight graze but hard enough to make us stagger back.

I steadied myself before I could fall back on my ass and looked up to apologize to the unknown person for not paying attention to where I was heading but he wasn't where I expected him to be anymore.

He had walked a great distance from where I stood, treading heavily on the grasses along the way until he came to a stop right in front of one of the many graves, head casted downwards and his hands tucked deep in the pocket of his black track pants.

I tilted my head to the side and squint my eyes to get a good look at who it was but he wore a black sweatshirt with the hood over his head, shielding his face from my view.

I'd be a fool to bother him when he's having an alone time with a dead loved one.

Giving a nonchalant shrug, I continued to make my way down the small path and eventually through the wrought iron fence. Immediately I stepped out, it felt like I could breathe again, all my grievous emotions fading away into nothingness and the pang in my chest disappearing.