Chapter 18 - Adventurous

S I E N N A

"I'm home, Familia." A loud familiar voice reverberated from the living room, cutting through the dense silence in the huge mansion.

A second passed, and all I could hear were the thumping sound of heavy footsteps coming down the stairs in a frantic rush.

I dropped my half mug of coffee on the kitchen counter and walked towards the source of the voice.

Standing right by the front door with a couple of suitcases was Matilde. She was dressed in a long black dress, her black hair with slightly gray hairs was styled back in a low bun. Her chocolate brown eyes gleamed with energy as she stared at each and everyone one of us with a radiant smile on her face.

"I could get used to the weather in Australia. It's cold here. My bones are freezing." Matilde muttered with a chuckle as she brushed away the specks of snow that clung to her dress.

"Mommy," Camilla squealed and ran towards her mother barefooted, engulfing the elderly woman in a tight hug that almost broke her fragile bones.

"Mija." Matilde chuckled and patted Camilla on her shoulder so she could lessen her hold.

Camilla didn't relent. She only hugged her tighter making her mom to roll her eyes.

Matilde loved travelling and exploring different countries and their cultures. It's something she has always derived pleasure from doing since I knew her. The elderly woman was in her early sixties. Strong, energetic and alert. She never appeared world-weary or exhausted. For her age, Matilde was adventurous, always wanting to try new things and go places.

Camilla worried about her mom's health because she thought travelling from one country to another will just stress her out and she could get sick from the harsh weathers, but Matilde was far from that.

She looked healthy. Her skin glowed and her chocolate brown eyes were bright and alive. So far, she had travelled to China, Australia, Spain, Ireland and so much more. We could barely keep up with her.

"What are in these bags? A couple of rocks?" Franco grumbled as he walked in with three other suitcases, shutting the front door with his foot.

He placed them next to the other suitcases and shrugged off his jacket before hanging it on the coat rack. He rubbed his hands together, trying to create some sort of warmth.

The weather was quite chilly and the snow falling outside didn't make things any better.

"Stop whining, figlio. You're a man. Besides, those suitcases are filled with souvenirs from my stay in Australia." Matilde rolled her eyes and smacked him upside the head with the back of her hand. He let out a groan and rubbed the assaulted area.

Nico snorted but quickly turned it into a cough when Matilde flashed him a stern look. They hugged for a while before she directed her attention to me.

"Sienna, mio cara." Matilde beamed. She walked towards me and wrapped her arms around my body in a comforting embrace. Her face was surprisingly unlined and she had the stride of a much younger woman.

"I'm so glad to see you again, Matilde. How was your trip?" I asked, intrigued.

We pulled away from the hug as she caressed my cheek tenderly.

"Me too, cara. My trip was simply amazing. Australia is such a beautiful country." She gushed with a wide smile.

I'm happy to see her doing what she loves.

There's just a certain feeling that arises in your chest when you take pride in engaging in something that brings you immeasurable happiness.

Although my mom was younger than Matilde, she never loved to travel. The thought of getting on a plane sickened her. She was more of a business woman that didn't venture out of the country. My dad owned some companies and hotels in Italy that she helped in running.