Chapter 43 - A puppet

Six years ago........

Third person's POV

For weeks now, Blade hadn't slept a wink. He was becoming reckless as the time passed. He hid his worries and fears from his family so they wouldn't worry so much about him. His wife wasn't a fool that was for sure. She was good at noticing the tiniest bit of detail that was out of place. Blade acting like his whole world was about to fall apart right in his very eyes made her feel deeply concerned. They had been through so much together to tell when the other was trapped in his/her raging emotions and needed a shoulder to lean on.

His father was getting insanely aggressive with his plans to ruin him. He feared for the lives of the people he loved dearly and for that, he prioritized their safety to the maximum. From the countless threats, the unexpected gifts that could scar a person for life and the constant reminder that his children was the main reason why his father started the child's trafficking made his fury and the persistent urge to murder him exceed its limits.

Presently, Blade was seated in his office, deep in thought with his eyebrows furrowed together. The pitter patter of the rain against the window made it seem hard to steer his wandering mind away from the dreadful memories of when he lost his daughter. He stared hard at the flash drive that sat in the drawer of his desk untouched for months now. He didn't have the heart to check what's in it or hold it in the palm of his hands, that's how bad it haunted him.

He thought of Layla and how much he missed that little bundle of joy. Her smile and laughter could light up a whole village. He knew deep down in his heart that his daughter would want him to check what was in the flash drive.

What if it's a video of her saying her goodbyes and how much she loved him And Sienna? He would love that very much to see her again but it wouldn't do him any good. He was starting to let the ghost of his past be in the past and embrace the good memories.

Blade took a deep breath, gathered up enough emotional strength and grabbed the flash drive. Turning on his laptop, he typed in his password and plugged in the flash drive. He rubbed his hands together to create some sort of warmth as the video loaded.

What appeared on the screen first was an old dusty bookcase with barely enough books. Voices could be heard in the background but he couldn't decipher who the voices belonged to and what was being talked about. It was more like a silent whisper.

Blade almost smashed his laptop and exploded in fury. Of course! It was her. His intuitions were never wrong. He hated this bitch just as much as he hated his father. The camera zoned in on her talking to someone standing behind the shadows of the dimly lit room. Blade knew who it was without giving it much thought. Dread filled him instantly as he increased the volume so he could listen in on the conversation.

"Don't get too cocky, bambina. Blade might be many things but he isn't a fool. Carry on with your plans with caution. I can't entertain any more slip ups." The intimidating voice ordered with irritation. The sound of that familiar voice caused his anger to spike.

Rachael chuckled, pacing back and forth, the sound of her heels made him cringe, "I know that very well, big boss. He keeps getting suspicious of my actions but lucky enough for me, I have a knight and shining armor to keep my ass protected from his wrath. Franco was the easiest target to infiltrate their home. He fell for my lies. He was always such an incompetent fool and a push over when it comes to his darling love." She taunted with a wicked smirk. Her words made the ex-don very pleased. He let out a loud laugh that made chills to run down Blade's spine.

"Use him to your advantage. Turn him into a puppet, if you know what I mean. Be the puppeteer and let him submit to your demands." His father implied with a spine chilling laugh. Blade could hear the coldness and pure wickedness in his tone. There was something devilish about the way his father spoke that stirred something deep in his stomach. He didn't like it one bit.