Chapter 16 - Forbidden

S I E N N A

Armando Mancini.

My lifelong enemy.

The very same guy whose dad raped my mom years back. I don't dwell on it too much because it brought back painful memories that have been buried in the deepest part of my subconscious.

Our feud began when I murdered his father with a bullet to his heart. And since then, he had vowed to get his revenge which I deemed wasn't going to be possible.

I wondered if he ever got tired of tormenting me.

I forced a smile and turned to Layla. "I want to take care of something, principessa. While I'm gone, don't talk to strangers. You can order any ice cream you want. I'll be right back."

Layla nodded enthusiastically, unaware of the tension that spiraled in the air, "Okay mommy."

I planted a kiss on her forehead and proceeded to walk out of the ice cream parlor with Armando following behind me.

When we got to the parking lot with a lot of cars but very few people in sight, I glared at Armando and said, "You've got some nerve, Mancini. Following me around like a freakish stalker. Aren't you ashamed?"

"A life for a life, D'Angelo." He said, "You wouldn't want someone to take the fall for your misfortune. Like, maybe, I don't know, your daughter?"

My heart leaped into my throat. I suppressed a shiver as panic surged through me. My eyes glanced frantically through the glass windows of the ice cream parlor.

My relief at the sight of Layla seated happily by the booth eating an ice cream is very much palpable.

"But of course, I'm not that heartless. I have a big loving heart, you know? so I'm gonna spare you the pain of losing a child." Armando snickered, like watching me panic was entertaining.

"What do you want from me?" I gritted.

Armando leaned on a random car with his hands tucked deep in the pockets of his slacks. "Nothing, Sienna. Absolutely nothing. Just.... check up on your dad once in a while, you never know when his life might just... slip away."

My body went cold with dread. A lump the size of my fist lodged deep in my throat. My daddy.... was he.... did he do something to him.... I couldn't stop the fear from flooding through my being at the thought of something bad happening to my dad.

An unfamiliar emotion flashed across his eyes. His bright blue eyes stared at me like he was looking deep into my soul. It was frightening.

"It wasn't a threat, Sienna. Think of it as a safety precaution." He whispered close to my ear and walked away with a laugh so loud that made goosebumps to appear on my skin.

Without giving myself some minute to calm down my raging emotions, I quickly pulled out my phone and dialed my dad's number.

I ran my fingers through my hair and waited with bated breath, praying, hoping and wishing that he was okay.

It rang.... twice.... thrice.

Just as I'm about to give up and call my mom instead, he finally picks up.

"Bambina." His raspy voice echoed through the phone accentuating his Italian accent.

"Daddy," I breathed out a sigh of relief. I don't detect any sign of pain or frustration in his tone. He's perfectly okay. He's fine. Nothing happened to him.

"Ciao, come vanno le cose, Bambina?" He asked with a soft tone that soothed my worries. But not completely. "I hope that boy is taking care of my little principessa?"